Any Blacksmiths on the Forum?

I have been wanting to dabble in building a Forge for quit some time. I have the tools and ability to build one but I just don't know what to build. Do I want an open top Forge or do I want an enclosed forge. Propane fired or coal fired. Advantages or disadvantages...

There are all kinds of ideas and plans out there on the internet. Anybody have any experience with building a forge? I want to make a machete and maybe some knives using a truck leaf spring. I also want to be able to harden or temper metal when I build a special tool. I want to make some body working tools and they need to be hardened but not to the point of being brittle. I want to make some T post dollies first. I have made a few of these already and they are only good for so long before they get beat up or bent. But boy are they handy!

Thanks for looking and if you have a link to something that you have used or are familiar with I would appreciate the contribution.

Doug

You might want to check out Alloy Avenue. AlloyAvenue network
It's geared more toward backyard metal casting, but there's a fair number of forgers on there. They could probably offer up some advise as to build type.
I think, t'were me, I'd build a gas-fired, horizontal tube, open on both ends, with a hinged upper half. That would keep the heat inside, where it's needed, but allow easy access to your work.
You're going to need an anvil, and those aren't cheap. (Well, the chinese cast iron ones are, but you get what you pay for.) I might suggest you visit a local railyard and ask for a chunk of rail, about 16"-18" long. It can be cut and shaped to make yourself a quite servicable anvil. DON'T "snag" a piece from a railroad right-of-way. The rail system/industry enjoys federal protection, so any theft is a felony. Better yet, ask the guys that drive the rail repair trucks, and be up front. Tell them what it's for. Thier biggest problem is amateur scrappers that don't know about the felony thing. There's a lot of weight in a compact package, being as it's extruded steel.

There's also a thread on another (unrelated) forum I visit, and he's quite good. blacksmith guys out there - TinBoats.net (Hope you can see the pics) The site is geared toward aluminum boat users, and does deal a lot in fishing, but there's a "Hobbies" sub-forum.

Roger

Anvil... Anvil.... Man o man can I tell you about anvils. After pricing some used old anvils that were pretty ratty I was discussing it with a friend that works for an overhead crane company. He said that I really didn't need an anvil unless I was going to be a full time Blacksmith. He said for my needs what I needed was a piece of Patented Track. Here is some info on it. https://www.google.com/#q=patented+track+crane+rail He went and dug around in the shop and came up with a 2 foot drop for me. It is a hardened T piece welded to the top of a large I-beam and it is surface ground flat and square. Be forewarned, Patented Track will ring your ears just like a regular anvil. Then he gave me some small Crane Rail. Looks like miniature Rail Road track. I have had a piece of standard Rail and a piece of 12 inch I-beam that I used for an anvil for years. He called me a couple of months later and said to come pick up a drop that he thought I might be able to use. It was an I-beam that was 34 inches tall by 12 wide and 6 feet long. I have to move it with my Forklift but when I need to work something big it sure is a nice surface to work on....

If you are anywhere near an Overhead Crane Company you should stop buy and ask if they have any Patented track drops that you could buy. They usually sell it at current scrap price. Which makes it cheap!

Here is my piece of Patented Track and my Crane rail and a shot of that monster I-beam

Patented Track and standard Rail and the Crane Rail (smallest of the 2).

The I-beam. 1/2 inch web and 3/4 surface.

Last edited:
You might want to check out Alloy Avenue. AlloyAvenue network
It's geared more toward backyard metal casting, but there's a fair number of forgers on there. They could probably offer up some advise as to build type.
I think, t'were me, I'd build a gas-fired, horizontal tube, open on both ends, with a hinged upper half. That would keep the heat inside, where it's needed, but allow easy access to your work.
You're going to need an anvil, and those aren't cheap. (Well, the chinese cast iron ones are, but you get what you pay for.) I might suggest you visit a local railyard and ask for a chunk of rail, about 16"-18" long. It can be cut and shaped to make yourself a quite servicable anvil. DON'T "snag" a piece from a railroad right-of-way. The rail system/industry enjoys federal protection, so any theft is a felony. Better yet, ask the guys that drive the rail repair trucks, and be up front. Tell them what it's for. Thier biggest problem is amateur scrappers that don't know about the felony thing. There's a lot of weight in a compact package, being as it's extruded steel.

There's also a thread on another (unrelated) forum I visit, and he's quite good. blacksmith guys out there - TinBoats.net (Hope you can see the pics) The site is geared toward aluminum boat users, and does deal a lot in fishing, but there's a "Hobbies" sub-forum.

Roger
Thanks GTS for the info and the links. As you can see above I just need the mass heat of a forge. I have been using my rosebud torch for years and it gets expensive on heavy stuff...

You're welcome.
Keep an eye out for a rusted portable air tank, of about 5 gallon capacity.. If you cut round holes in the end caps big enough for your knife/sword material, then slice it lengthwise, and hinge it on one side, that'll give you a basic foundation to start your build. After that, hit up a local boiler service shop for some refractory, and line your "tank" with it. The refractory will hold the heat in, and distribute it a bit more evenly over the whole length.
Actually, something else that might even work better, is an out-of-date fire extinguisher. It's smaller, and will need less fuel to get to temp. The Alloy Avenue site will help you get a burner built. My foundry furnace uses a naturally aspirated, propane burner that gets me to aluminum melting temps. (1300-1400*F)

Roger

I have a small propane one my father in law made for me out of an old freon tank. Works pretty good for smaller things . I like the propane because you can fire it up do what you need to and turn it off.

So I went on the local Craigslist and searched for "anvil". No joy.... But I did find a local Blacksmith offering classes... A little expensive but it is 1 on 1 for a day at $175.00. You can do a knife class or a hammer class or a basic Blacksmithing class.

Looks like I have a class or 2 in my not so distant future... He makes a good looking hammer too.... And you keep yours after the class. Me likey....

Doug