Baja Warrior Honda XR80 Forks

Anybody try replacing the stock forks with Honda xr 80 forks? I know it's been mentioned on a couple of threads on this forum. I just got a set of 1980 XR80 forks off of eBay. When I compare them to the stock forks, the bottom part matches up, but the top part looks to be about 2 inches shorter. Is this normal, or are these not the right forks?

You need to post pics to make it clear what you are talking about...

I am not following what you mean about the top being 2 inches shorter. Do you mean the Honda is shorter than the Warrior neck or vice a versa???

Doug

The Honda forks are about 2 inches shorter than the top of the warrior neck. I'll take some pics tonight when I get back home if it's not too late.

You can shorten the neck on the Warrior. Its just thin tubing. Nock the bearing races out and lay out the cut by spacing it from the end with masking tape. Follow the tape edge to get a straight cut.

Doug

Well the Warriors do sit higher in the front than the back. They may bring it down level...

I shortened the forks on my Build Off Warrior 3 inches to bring the front down level with the rear.

They look like they will bottom out on the warrior tube if you slid them all the way in. You could shorten the top of the Warrior triple tree and bring it down enough to make it work. It would take a little cutting and welding to do it.

Be forewarned the lower fork leg only slides about 3 inches up into the triple tree. That Honda leg looks to be a lot smaller in diameter than the warrior...

Doug

Be forewarned the lower fork leg only slides about 3 inches up into the triple tree. That Honda leg looks to be a lot smaller in diameter than the warrior...
Thanks for the heads up. I had assumed that the baja forks went right to the top of the triple tee. I'll have to take them out To compare the length properly. The diameter of the upper forks is actually much closer then it looks in the picture. I'll measure both the fork diameters with my calipers when I take the baja ones out.

Earthy

I used XR 70 forks on my sons Warrior. The Warrior shock is much shorter when you take it out of the triple tree. On the ahold DNA XR 70 and CB 125 the center stem on the triple tree is shorter. In my case I had to use the Honda triple tree and forks but had to fabricate the Warrior stem so it would clear the tube. I’m going to do the same for my bike in the build off this year. Sound confusing? I’ll post a picture

Thanks for the info Bunkster. I think I understand what you did with the Honda tee (the pics helped :smile:). Using it was a great way to get a front brake mounted as well. I'd like to keep the wider stock front tire, but your way definately gives me something to think about. With holiday visiting out of the way I might actually get back in my garage this week.

Last edited:
For those who have never taken their forks out here is a picture of the Baja forks on the bottom and the Honda forks on the top. The Baja fork is held in by an indent (groove) in the fork (can't be seen in this picture). A bolt rests in this groove that tightens as a clamp and also prevents the fork from slipping out. The XR 80 fork on the other hand, bolts to the triple tee at the top. bajaforks.jpg

Hey Earthy, did you ever get around to measuring the diameter of the 1980 XR80 fork tubes? My Baja fork tubes measure 27mm. Will the XR80 tubes slide up inside the Warrior upper forks all the way to the top? I'm trying to find a set of tubes that will slide into the Warrior upper fork all the way and also be about 2 or 3 inches shorter. Thanks

Hey Earthy, did you ever get around to measuring the diameter of the 1980 XR80 fork tubes? My Baja fork tubes measure 27mm. Will the XR80 tubes slide up inside the Warrior upper forks all the way to the top? I'm trying to find a set of tubes that will slide into the Warrior upper fork all the way and also be about 2 or 3 inches shorter. Thanks
Hey there, I haven't measured the Honda tubes but they do slide up as far as the stock tubes (about 2 inches). The problem is that there is some kind of seam in the clamps that needs to be reamed out. MB165 talks about it in this thread. Hope this helps.

Arthur

Last edited:
27mm on the XR