Basket case DB revival

Hi All, New here, wasn't sure if this should go in the Baja or Build forum...so here it is.

I started off looking for a clean vintage roller to fix up, but decided that for my first foray into the Mini Bike scene, I might use something that had a little less initial value.

Enter a stretched DB30S (as far as my limited knowledge goes). It was stretched, then turned into a trike at some point, then had all the live axle mounts removed. The kid I bought it from plowed it into a curb and mangled the stock forks, but included a set off a pocketbike. Yes, I know the clip-ons are backwards ;)

The quality of the stretch looks decent, but the engine plate, etc. is pretty rough, so I don't feel too bad about hacking it up further. I will weld a new motor plate, and slide it forward I think, as I will add rearset footpegs and want some additional clearance. I guess I am going for a drag bike look, but it will just have a stock 212 Predator for cruising around. Still undecided on a TAV or a clutch, but I will add a hydraulic disk to the rear (and possibly the front). I think I have sourced a rear wheel, so that keeps me from going the 1" live axle route.

I still have a little fab work ahead of me to adapt the triple trees, get the engine situated, but the ultimate plan is to make an aluminum tank and a custom SS header.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Awsum..toss some pics up after frame sorted..a lot of parts interchange w a db30 .. monster moto mb80 and motovox ..wheels ,tires, forks,sprockets........ bikes out on the lawn and cold beer.:thumbsup:.each one has story...this fall/winter going to be awsum time when money loosens up and cooler

Last edited:
Hmm, pic was working...It looks like it is too late to edit the first post.

How I got it:
IMG_2517.JPG

Turned some inserts to use adapt the pocket bike triple trees to the DB steering stem
IMG_2523.JPG

Forgot to bring the phone down to the shop last night...Will have most of my parts arriving next week to get it rolling/running

Unfortunately winter up here is for hibernation...too many toys and too small of a garage. A car, 3 motorcycles, toolboxes, benches, etc. fills up a 2 car quickly...not much room to work. But I do have a lead on an industrial building to rent...

Last edited:
Nice start on your DB . :thumbsup: Also nice old Mopar ! What year is it ? 67 ?
Thanks! close enough, it's a 66. I've got a 71 Swinger as well, but that project is on the back burner

18359413_10101345894089566_35728553886280081_o.jpg

I noticed that too Eric. Dave is the Mopar expert....
Had some left over turquoise engine paint.

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

Finished my triple tree adapters

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

I'll leave the engine stock for a while, and will leave the factory tank at least until everything is broken in. Delivery guys should be busy next week. I picked up a couple missing items from some very helpful members. Sourced a hyd disk conversion and ordered the rest from OldMiniBikes including new bearings TAV, sprocket adapter, split sprocket and chain.

I should have most everything mocked up by next weekend, but the Woodward Cruise is this coming weekend, so I might be out cruising instead of wrenching.

but the Woodward Cruise is this coming weekend, so I might be out cruising instead of wrenching.

I am officially jealous... :thumbsup:

And Dave, my reference to Eric (OND) about Dave being the Mopar expert was referring to Havasu Dave. He has a sweet 67. Didn't think about you being Dave too....

Doug

but the Woodward Cruise is this coming weekend, so I might be out cruising instead of wrenching.

I am officially jealous... :thumbsup:

And Dave, my reference to Eric (OND) about Dave being the Mopar expert was referring to Havasu Dave. He has a sweet 67. Didn't think about you being Dave too....

Doug
I knew what you meant Doug ....or at least I thought I did ! :laugh:

Parts started tricking in this week.

Rear wheel assy
front wheel assy
steering stem bearings
Sprocket adapter and 54T split ring
TAV2 with 12T sprocket
EK #35 chain
Hyd brake conversion
Throttle assy and cable

The only big item left is the seat...not sure which direction I am going with this yet...

I ordered some new 6201 bearings for the rear wheel, but the ID was 1/2" instead of 12mm...quality control failed somewhere along the line...oops

I started with the rear wheel to set the chainline, then mocked up the TAV and engine to look at where everything would sit. I lucked out as it seems I will need 119 links of the 120 link chain I ordered. I may be making a header sooner rather than later as the muffler is awefully close to my leg.

I also fought a little with where to put the throttle return spring. I'm still not happy with it, but it will come to me eventually.

I didn't make any progress last night because I got enlisted to help a buddy with a barn-found 72 Datsun 240Z

I have seen a few installs that have an additional bolt in the backing plate of the TAV2. Is this something that was added? a feature of the legit Comet vs. the knock-off? Is flex an issue with the 30 series TAV? I may add this hole to use the existing boss in the side cover. It's free...

maxresdefault.jpg

Made some progress finally. removed all of the original motor plate and footpegs. Added a new 0.083" wall DOM cross brace and fresh motor plate courtesy of OldMiniBikes.

Finished mocking everything and got it to a point where I could go for a short spin. Got the engine broken in while putting around the parking lot at work.

My throttle seems to be binding a bit, so I need to see what is causing that, and I need to come up with a seat and add a place to rest my feet.

IMG_2591.JPG

My TAV is dragging at idle, I think I need to shim out the drive a little more. I probably want the "gap" on the outside taper, not the inside. Allied Leisure (aka Lil Indian) isn't far from me, if they don't have the shims, McMaster does. Also, the TAV isn't opening all the way with my butt on the seat. Maybe I went a little aggressive with the 12/54 gearing, or maybe I just need a little more runway. Also noticed some bronze dust on the belt. Is this normal?

IMG_2590.JPG

Next up is teardown and painting, mounting the new tire, and hitting the road.

noseoil

With the TAV, the fixed side (flat discs for a TAV 30) should be as close to parallel & in line as possible. On a new one, it's normal to have a little bit of drag with the belt still new & fairly tight. If there isn't a good alignment, just about perfect (use a straight-edge to check for any offsets), it will act like it's trying to move at idle due to the increased friction on the plates. A bad alignment will also cause belts to wear faster than they should.

The TAV pulleys are within a couple thou of perfect via straight edge and feeler gauges. I thought it was further out than it actually was, but the only shim I could source locally was 0.065" which was way too much. I will chalk up the drag to it being new...

Ended up making a header with some scraps I had laying around and a flange off eBag. The stock one was a bit warm against my thigh when I would put my legs down. I rushed and didn't clean the used tubing so the welds look a bit contaminated. I didn't calculate the stage lengths or anything, so it's just for show and to fit the frame. Also added a 3/4NPT boss to the end to run muffled when I don't feel like hearing it. A replacement B&S muffler makes it very quiet.

IMG_2631.JPG

Also opened up the stock airbox a bit, and now the carb needs some attention. So much for leaving it alone...haha. I have a pin vise and bits from my days of working over Holley carbs, so no worries there. I see alot of people replacing the emulsion tube as well. I'll jet it up a bit and go from there.

I began tearing down last night in preparation for some final welding and paint...hope to get it painted this weekend.

Got footpegs, seat mount, top brace, motor plate braces and a rear axle tab brace welded on last week, then prepped for paint. This thing had multiple layers of blue and red, one of which being powder. This is a rider/beater, and the frame is too rough for me to invest too much time into making it pretty, so I just went with Rustoleum Hammertone black. Dabbing on with a foam brush was tedious, but the end result wasn't half bad.

Upped the jet to a 35 while the engine was out, then started re-assembly after the paint set up. I rolled a rear fender out of some aluminum sheet, undecided if I like it. I am not sure the off-the-shelf fenders will fit the 15x6-6 very well. I am waiting to bolt the header on until I have a place to ride it uncorked, the neighbors probably hate me enough already.

Took it out for a test spin, carb seems close. Its pulls pretty good once the revs get up and the TAV starts working. I don't think I'll have to worry about wheelies with the 12/54 gearing. Didn't turn on the GPS, but I may have gotten the beginnings of head shake with it opened up.

I have started doing a bit of research on basic 212 Hemi hop ups, I don't need more power by any means, but I like to tinker and the guys around here don't mess around. Not looking for anything too crazy, just a basic pump gas build. Before too long, I have my sights set on building a frame of my own.

This was a quick, fun build. Never too old for ones first mini I guess. Thanks for the info and help I have gotten from you guys!

IMG_2666.JPG

Last edited: