BELLEVILLE WASHERS

What do the builders/mechanics do when rebuilding a Tech engine that calls for belleville washers to be installed on certain head studs? Order fresh ones off of Amazon or just flat washers or use the old ones over? Wondering minds want to know.... thanks Don Jones in Corpus Christi. Texas

What do the builders/mechanics do when rebuilding a Tech engine that calls for belleville washers to be installed on certain head studs? Order fresh ones off of Amazon or just flat washers or use the old ones over? Wondering minds want to know.... thanks Don Jones in Corpus Christi. Texas
Donrokon,
I have seen Belleville washers used in applications where assemblies are subject to heat and cold cycles. The washers are designed to minimize the torque force fluctuations during these cycles.
Can they be reused? Probably would have to use a test apparatus to evaluate fatigue.
I would mic the present ones and start sourcing new.
There are highly skilled engine build/re-builders here that can address reuse issues.
Great question.

As long as they still have their conical shape and no obvious damage to them reusing them isn't typically a problem. A common problem is people over-torquing the bolts when using them and flattening them out rendering them useless. Well, not useless, just effectively turning them into flat washers.

Edit: something I thought of is that sometimes directions say to flatten them then back off to a designated height for proper installation and this is fine as well. What ruins them is if they are flattened and kept that way as they eventually just stay flat and aren't really doing their job if flattened out.