best engine of what I have to choose from

Ok folks,
I have been following along quietly for a while and now I have acquired some engines, wheels, drive components, throttles, one hacked mini bike frame and also a go-cart.
The first question I have to pose to everyone interested is which of these engines are best suited for a beginner? I ride a new KTM500 so please don't tease me about the 3 horse engines. I have plans now to build at least two minis, one for my 7 year old son and the other for a 12 year old nephew with overprotective parents.
I have:
1 1980's H30 Tecumseh
1 1980's H35 Tec
1 1985 HS50 Tec
1 1990 B&S 3hp with a pulsajet carb
1 2006 B&S Intek 190, 6hp
1 2013 212cc Predator new in box
1 1998 6.5hp Lawnboy Duraforce with a crank machined to 3/4" & pz19 carb

Should I rule out the bigger engines for my son and save them? I think he would be fine with a mini geared to top out at 20mph :thumbsup:

Can the smaller 3hp engines handle an older boy bypassing the governors when I'm not around? :doah: I have heard that the smaller engines hold up better to children's abuse.

let me have it guys
thanks

incogrhino

Just for the easy starting alone is got with the predator. Nothing worse than it not firing up and getting to go for the ride. That's me.:smile:

Tote gotes and some others used the small 3-3.5hp engines to achieve high torque/low speeds didn't they?
a couple summers ago we had a Manco Thunderbird with a 3.5hp engine that seemed to top out in the 30's. It was way too fast for my son back then.
My nephew on the other hand, no. It was a great top speed, but, the clutch would heat up after some stop and starts.

How do you guys feel about the cheap ebay torque converters as compared to clutches?

For kids I would stay with the smaller motors.... 3-3.5hp.

I love my 3 COMET TAVs..... :thumbsup:

The cheap TAVs on ebay are just that. Cheap :chinese: copys. But I have heard they do well for general riding...

I used to ride a 1986 KTM 250MX. Sold it for a 4 stroke...

Oh man don't get me started on motorcycles.
I have had a Suzuki DRZ400, a two stroke KTM200exc, my new 500exc. 2005 Suzuki Katana 750 and now a GS1000 that I am converting to a cafe' racer. As a kid and only for a short time I had an old beat up XR80. Until my brother traded a guitar for it. Luckily my cousins had dirtbikes that we all shared and rode together.
I rode BMX for many years. My son just hasn't taken to the scene like I did so last year I sold his Yamaha TTR50 and now I want to attempt to spark his interest again(actually my wife's idea).
Im glad that someone said to stick with the 3-3.5 horse engines. Because I tend to choose power over anything else.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2