Best set up for a 225 pound adult

i have a baja doodlebug with the 6.5 hp clone engine swap. Before I purchase clutch and sprocket i was wondering the best set up for my size and needs. With OUT a TAV, and for a 225 lb. person who will do 90 percent of his riding on street in a hilly area ( I work in a 42 acre salvage yard). Questions and demands...
Decent speed = 30 mph
some hills on pavemnet= not to steep, but a decent grade

I have the stock rear sprocket and a #35 chain. Can I keep both of these on to match the new clutch? Whats the top speed w/ the 70t rear sprocket w/ the limiter off and the govenor on? ( i will not be removing the govenor). Whats the best teeth on the clutch for these conditions? How big can I get tired (tall) that will fit the doodlebug. Its one of the newer ones. What are people my size using in the real world.

thnaks in advance

Welcome!:thumbsup: With a 70 tooth out back and a 12 tooth clutch a stock cloned DB will go 27.5 mph but get there quickly. Hope that helped some!:thumbsup:

a stock 6.5 will pull you around fine. if you want a little more top speed (sacrificing acceleration) you can always go to a smaller rear sprocket. you can buy a bolt on adapter that uses the split sprockets for karts.

vette66_00

12/70 should be fine. I promise you will only keep it stock for a month, too many easy and cheap mods to be do to these.
Its like drugs once you try them your hooked, only money slows or stops one from getting another fix. :laugh:

Can I use my stock #35 chain with the new clutch. My stock rear sprocket has 65 teeth. I want the front wheel to have some lift upon acceleration. will 12t w/ 65t sprocket acheive that?

C9H13NO3

Can I use my stock #35 chain with the new clutch. My stock rear sprocket has 65 teeth. I want the front wheel to have some lift upon acceleration. will 12t w/ 65t sprocket acheive that?
It will have enough "oomph" to get the front wheel off the ground under acceleration.

Yes, you can use the stock #35 chain with the clutch, you just need to remove a few links.

Big Jim

I like the belt drives! Belts drives are more forgiving, smoother.
I have found, if you own one bike with a TAV setup on it you will "need" one for the others....
Good out of the hole torque, keeps the engine on the pipe uphill. Smoother stops, the belt creates a braking affect.
I know that the engine will need to be raised 2+ inches to clear the frame if you put a TAV on a clone, one member used a "wedged" mount. It won't clear the frame on my Track2.
The DB with a 6.5 is a great machine, I had one it hauled my 300# around just fine. I like the bigger framed bikes, just me.
If you have 42 acres of sheer fun to ride on either way you won't want to get off your scoot!

gbabins1

I have a couple of DB's... my son's has a 65t rear 12t clutch and it won't lift the front wheel with me.... but I'm 250lb..... I like the 70t rear.... although it still won't lift the front unless I yank up on the front end.