best way to cut off unwanted welded on brackets and added steal to frames

just what it says over the years ppl seem to like to add bulky steel thick pieces of steel to our frames sometimes its for a homemade scrub brake. maybe chain tensioner bracket. or who knows what. what's the best way other than plasma cutter to cut that stuff off and try to keep the round of the frem tube itself but get all the weld off as if it wasnt there any tips or tricks i've got grinder with cutoff wheel and flap disc thinking thats my best option but lmk what you guys do. hope this is the right section ?

I believe a 4.5 inch grinder with cutoff wheel, an air powered cutoff tool, safety glasses and patience are your best method. Plasma cutter will not help. Dremel tools are handy. If you have a welder, it may be best to splice in a new section of tubing.

Here’s some before and after also the pink is gone lol it’s blue now I’ll post pics later. Think I might have to let this one go if I can get 7 or 800 out of it. Lol doubtful but I found another project. I’ve had my eyes in for a a long time bonanza chopper. For 1500$ really thinking hard on this one.

Attachments

Last edited:
After using a cutoff wheel I would use a small right angle grinder to get close. But for the final step I would be using a flat smooth cut hand file. It’s easier to maintain the round tubing shape. You won’t get as many flat spots because you can keep the file moving to follow contours when working with it. Easier to control the amount of material being removed with a file versus a powered grinder.

Here she is for now. Did lil Indian put a grease fitting on the head tube for the Steering? And what size spring is needed for the forks to frame I don’t like the solid steel they cut and replaced it with there no sloppy movement but still I’m sure they did it for a reason. Might only be an inch of suspension but it’s better then none

It’s almost as close to the blue that was left under the grip I left that lil bit that hadn’t been stripped in the past under there, call me nostalgic but I feel it should be left. There was a lot of putty on the back fender and some on the frame it self but very little , idk why they put that much work in to rear fender I’m sure it’s not oem rather skinny and they welded it. No bolts same with front fender even though the front fender was pre drilled for the bolt holes. It’s has crinkles in the bends so I don’t think it’s oem ether.

Attachments

Two 4 1/2” angle grinders:
One with a Pearl brand cut-off wheel,
The other with a Diablo flap/ polish wheel. Then mill file and sand thru the grades.

GustoGuy

It’s almost as close to the blue that was left under the grip I left that lil bit that hadn’t been stripped in the past under there, call me nostalgic but I feel it should be left. There was a lot of putty on the back fender and some on the frame it self but very little , idk why they put that much work in to rear fender I’m sure it’s not oem rather skinny and they welded it. No bolts same with front fender even though the front fender was pre drilled for the bolt holes. It’s has crinkles in the bends so I don’t think it’s oem ether.
How does the 79cc 3.5 hp Predator work? I have only 212cc ones. Is it enough power for an adult rider?

I rode around in the late sixties and early seventies with a 3,5 Tec. I now ride out to the barn in the morning, and back to the house in the afternoon on a CT100U with about 3 HP. It is peppy in the field and the grass.