big 4

delray

i new tecumseh made big block 4hp and 5hp engines in the H series. i never seen a big block briggs just like the 5hp motor, but only 4hp?
working on a 4hp for a kid in the neighborhood. if we get it running we will find a minibike frame to mount it into:thumbsup:
looks to be early 70's and with a 3/4 keyway shaft and the four mounting holes around the crank(use for bolt jackshaft or tav-2) and front oil fill too..........nice:thumbsup:
look at the differents in size from a reg-4hp(gold) to the red 4hp. briggs must of built it for the low hp,but lots of torque for rotor tilling ground....:scooter:

delray

hey, we got it running and it runs good:thumbsup:real good for a 30+ yr old motor.
thanks again minidragbike:thumbsup: i had a problem with the valve springs in this engine. both were different from each other,but minidragbike answer my question:thumbsup:
the other problems were it did not have any compression or spark.
first thing i found that a wire was broke off the magneto and then the second was no compression?
kid next door had the engine in school and they ground down the valves and for got to check valve and lifter clearance:doah:. valves were staying open. fix clearance problem and then fire it up:thumbsup:
YouTube - big block 4hp briggs

delray

1972,not bad for a 30+ yr old engine:thumbsup:
motor means alot to the kid. his dad purchase it before he pass away and it has been sitting in the shed for couple yrs or more.
now that we got it running. we have been talking about putting it on a minibike frame:thumbsup:........:scooter:

1stlegendtx

1972,not bad for a 30+ yr old engine:thumbsup:
motor means alot to the kid. his dad purchase it before he pass away and it has been sitting in the shed for couple yrs or more.
now that we got it running. we have been talking about putting it on a minibike frame:thumbsup:........:scooter:
That's great! Glad to see it run again.:thumbsup: With that one being Red it makes me wonder if Briggs started to paint them Gold it 73 (my Gold 3hp is a 73).

delray

i think gold was the standard color for briggs in the mid 70's? reason why this is red is more then likely the company that made the rotor tiller had briggs paint it red:thumbsup:

delray

one thing a wish that more people here were more Knowledge in the vintage engines. for example what years briggs made this type of engine,what colors they use by years,what years they stop using metal kill switch on spark plug,when they changes over to a flat style pto cover with the four holes around the crankshaft,tons of stuff,..etc......
is there a good web site for this?

1stlegendtx

Briggs and Stratton Model Identification
one thing a wish that more people here were more Knowledge in the vintage engines. for example what years briggs made this type of engine,what colors they use by years,what years they stop using metal kill switch on spark plug,when they changes over to a flat style pto cover with the four holes around the crankshaft,tons of stuff,..etc......
is there a good web site for this?
Here are the ones I look at..Antique Small Engine Collectors Club - Briggs & Stratton Numerical Designation System Engine Model Identification :thumbsup: There must be more than this. I never really looked to hard.