Billet rod

Need a billet rod for a OHH60. I made an intake for my 24mm carb, made a header. Ordered a slightly larger cam, but need a better rod. I haven't had any luck finding anyone who sells them.I'm almost afraid to run it with the stock rod. If the rpms are there, it's hard to stay out of them. Anyone know where I can buy one or have one made?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I think Jeff Clements has the billet rods. try this out www.f200motorsports.com

I just tried it, I guess his site is down. But there is a local company out here named Cunningham Rods that is supposed to have a billet steel rod for that motor. You will have to ask Pro69nova for more details.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Looks like the F200 URL is either suspended or (more likely) no longer spoken for.

I have a hard time keeping up between the selloffs, buyouts, trademark infringement, and who knows what else has happened between Mike and that "other" place. :eek:ut:

Found a rod at Dare $108+ crank grind for bearings. I think I can do better. May have found a basic bolt in far cheaper. Checking on that.

Hey Jimh

I have herd nothing but bad things about batman. My buddy ordered a cam from him and it took lots of phone calls, numerous un answered emails, and 6 weeks to get his cam.

Be careful with that guy. Google him and see what you come up with.

Josh

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
My buddy deals with batman (pro69nova) and everything went well. I had went over his house and measured the cam, rockers he got from batman.

True I don't like the idea of having to grind the crank down to have bearing inserts for the rod.

I can go pick up my parts from him, but I'm thinking unless I find a direct bolt in rod, I might just go with the porting, cam, valve springs, header, and carb,and skip the rod. Some of the cart racers swear you can run the stock rod 5500 rpms all day long. These engines have been around 9 years. Someone has to make a rod without bearings. A.R.C. has better prices, but they don't sell the rod. I heard they're in the process of designing them now,but they'll probably use bearings too.

Hey Jimh

I have herd nothing but bad things about batman. My buddy ordered a cam from him and it took lots of phone calls, numerous un answered emails, and 6 weeks to get his cam.

Be careful with that guy. Google him and see what you come up with.

Josh
Have to agree, I've dealt with him twice and nothing but hassles, had to cancel pay pal payment both times before getting a response. As far as the rod goes, I ran my OHH60 pretty hard for well over 1200 road miles without any problems. Had a cam, springs, big valve head and large carb. I just recently changed over to the billet because I'm going to flog the crap out of it!!

Did you look at the one on ebay I sent in the pm?

My valves should float out before 5500 shouldn't they? With stock valve springs and cam,that is.
I checked that rod out on eBay, and it takes bearings and crank grinding. I'm trying to avoid that, but it's not looking too good so far.

Oh yeah, with the plastic cam the springs are very light, probably lucky to get 4800. I'm not sure who made the rod I've got but it has bearings and fits the stock crank. the engine came from a guy in texas, a well known racer. There were a lot of custom mods done including a homemade camshaft (downfall of engine), bearings on cam and crank, honda 650 valves, billet flywheel, adapted briggs 3 horse flywheel, etc. Maybe this will help you track him down? I may sell the big valve/port head in the future if you are interested...

That guy was probably a cart racer. I'll have to see what I can find out. That cam looks pretty rough. I think I'll put a tach on it so I can see what I've got. I may be alright without the rod. I just want to be faster than the kids bikes. If I build a screamer, I'm going with a flathead Briggs. You can get pretty good deals on a kit with all the matching parts.

65ShelbyClone

Hehe, someone milled down the base circle on that cam. I did that with a plastic Briggs cam in a little 2hp flattie. :biggrin: Hasn't caused a a failure.....yet.

A know 2 that bought the "trick" batman camshafts.............both were to be the same cams.........both had been custom ground using what appeared to be a hand grinder. The ground lobe surfaces were NOT parallel with the CL of camshaft and did not hit the rockers properly. They reminded me of how a 10 yr old or younger would try to make a hot rod cam.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
A know 2 that bought the "trick" batman camshafts.............both were to be the same cams.........both had been custom ground using what appeared to be a hand grinder. The ground lobe surfaces were NOT parallel with the CL of camshaft and did not hit the rockers properly. They reminded me of how a 10 yr old or younger would try to make a hot rod cam.
I know what you mean. But what I can say about that is this. My buddy JD (pro69nova) bought a complete kit from Batman. I took the cam looked at it, and measured it up right in front of him. It was all in spec just like it supposed to be. He also sent him a pair of high ratio rockers. I also measured them and they were also exactly the proper ratio they was supposed to be.

I can't remember the numbers, but when I applied the numbers into the formula of calculating the spec's. They were perfect.

I can tell you exactly how I did it, if anyone would like to know how to measure a cam, or rocker arm ratio.