Bonham dune gote

The brake setup on the dune gote was rear brakes only, and one for each wheel I believe. I seem to recall inducing powerslides by manipulation of the brakes, which was great because all of the roads around me were dirt.

Yea there is nothing like having a 50 hp two stroke engine and a set of flat tracker tires on a hard packed mountain road to make the Tri-Sport come alive and be able to control that slide right to the edge of the road, It does get the blood pressure and the thrill level way off the scale of sanity. But you go right back and do it again. Today they do it in cars and call it drifting.
I might be old but I still have that need for speed and the Tri-Sports always delivered. The Dune Gote was a early play machine and they never stayed in the game as long as the Tri-Sports and Dunecycle's did. We even had some Tri-Sport machines with 650cc triple cylinder free air engines pumping out mega power.
Steve :scooter:

The dune gote does have individual brakes on each axle but I don't know if the briggs will provide enough power for much of a power slide. Right now I only have a worn v-belt on it and don't have the belt tension tuned in for the most power. We're still in the building stage. What kind of tires would you put on a dune gote?

I never had a problem with the S shaped or Chevron shaped tires we called flat trackers. They usually were over inflated for most trail use but in real rocky conditions they needed to have the air pressure reduced. Too heavy of a tread or too wide of a tire just eats horsepower uneasily.
As for the belt drive setting what driver are you using on the engine ? One way to check out how it's doing is to use a crayon to mark the one side of the shive and take the trike out for a top speed run and that will tell you how high up the driver belt is going on the shive. then you can adjust the engine forward or back wards to fully use the provided ratio. If you are using the climb-away clutch I am not sure what the collective pitch is between the two shive's is ,you may want to check it so that you get the right belt. Steve :scooter:

I'm using a climbaway clutch and I think the pitch is 22 degrees. We haven't really gone for a high speed attempt yet. The motor we are using has a new piston and rings that we're still breaking in, so it's running a little rich and we're not holding the throttle wide open for too long.. I have a chance to get some new chevron style tires that will fit.

Richard : If it is 22 degrees that is the same as the Comet 20 series belts. I understand about the new engine it is worth waiting for. I just bought off e-bay a used 7 HP Tecumseh engine today for one of the 2 Powell's and this one is running. The Chevron tires should be just great for this project.
Steve :scooter:

Dune Gote Seat

The dune gote I had only had a thin vinyl covered seat pad, just like the one pictured in the previous posts. There was no back padding, you just leaned against the fiberglass. Since it had no suspension, you weren't jumping it or anything like that, so the seating was more than sufficient.

We may need to put a seat pad on the back,too. The fiberglass is damaged on the dune gote and the repairs can be hidden on the underside of most of it, but the seat back has a hole clear through it. We are trying to save the original "sparkle" finish on the fiberglass.

Hi All,
I havn't been here in a while, it has been a busy month with family vacations and school starting for the kids and home remodeling ect. Sorry to say the dune gote and tote gotes havent seen much attention lately. I will try to visit more often. Richard I go to S.L.C. every other week to drop off my son to his mothers for her weekend visits I will be passing threw on Friday I could load it and swing it by if you like or just drop me a note and we could set up something else.
Thanks Martin

XJ, I missed your visit. Let me know when your coming through again. I am back working on the dune gote after a week away (rocky mountain atv jam). I would like to see your dune gote. From your pictures, I see the bonham clutch had been removed. Did you find a clutch to replace it? I finally got the new tires for my dune gote and will be putting them on today. I also have a new belt, so we can finally see how fast this thing will go.

Hi Richard I dropped you a line with my contact info, I hope to free up some time to get back to work on the really important things in life like Bonham products.

I just had to post pics of the other works in progress. I know they only have two wheels so I included a pic of the dune gote. Is that cheating?

I can tell a little bit about your pictures. The first picture of a single tote gote on a stand is a model B. This was the first tote gote offered for sale and is very desirable. It came with a 3hp motor and a salsbury clutch. It probably the most valuable of your 2 wheel tote gotes. It was made between 1958 and 1960. The picture with the 2 frames are both model 600 tote gotes. They had 6hp briggs motors with a separate gas tank in front of the motor. There are a lot of these machines out there and were probably made between 1962 and 1965.

Bonham Dune Goat

I've been working on the dune gote for a couple months, on and off. I straighted the rims and painted them. There are new tires and tubes all around. The motor is a briggs 8hp. Because the gas tank sits so low, I added a Mikuni fuel pump powered by the vaccum pulse of the intake. The seat is in the shop to get a pad made that will cover the fiberglass repair I had to do to the seat back. Here are some pictures.

Now Richard : The idea was to ride over the top of the land LOL The rear tires should handle the sand and the rough roads just fine. Project look like its going well will look forward to seeing the body on the frame . Steve :scooter:

The dune gote is still proceeding. It will be at the gote-together in Payson, Utah on June 13. We are expecting other dune gotes, tote gotes and other solid wheel scooters. See gote-together on the events page for details