Bonneville & the salt, 2017

noseoil

Is anyone going to Wendover this week? Speedweek starts again on Friday! I'll be back at the salt again & if you're up there, stop by & say hello. We set up between the pits & the fuel truck at the edge of the track each year. Will have the bike for transport & the camper for sleeping.
tim from tucson

Y5r.jpg

Joshua5.JPG

Fron-Salt1.JPG

GL&T.jpg

One of the special places to go that is right at the top of my Bucket List..... Been a fan of the Salt for as long as I can remember. I'm officially jealous.

Doug

noseoil

Back from the salt, here's a few pictures from the week. Anyone who has a chance to see it should put it on their bucket list!
Camp6.jpg
Salt1.JPG
George on his bike (70 years young)
George2.JPG
On my bike
George3.JPG
MB-2.JPG
The old Munro bike from the movie
Munro-2.jpg
With a rider from Japan, very nice guy
Munro-J.jpg
The new Indian streamliner
235-1.jpg
Just a car, too much to see!
88.jpg

Now I have to dig out my movie about the Burt Monro Indian. It seems that the Indian brand will never die as I was Indian Dealer in the early 1970's selling the bikes built in other countries. I have been to the salt flats once took my new Ford Van up to 100 mph all alone in November on the way to the NASCAR races in Phoenix.
Glad you had a bunch of fun

[MENTION=55039]noseoil[/MENTION] Great pics!!! Thanks for sharing them. The salt is on my bucket list but I doubt it will ever happen, unfortunately. The Oakland Roadster Show was on my bucket list and I got there. Man I enjoyed that. And the icing on the cake was the real Hirohata Mercury was there. Did not expect to ever see that car in my lifetime. It has been my most favorite Mercury since I was 10. Here is a little shot of the car for those not familiar.

[video=youtube;ZmMZ4_sjL6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMZ4_sjL6w[/video]

Doug

The video doesn't do the car justice as the paint colors are very striking in person.

Last edited:

noseoil

I was lucky enough to be there for the 50th anniversary of Burt Munro's ride on the salt, the record still stands to this day in his class, 183 mph on his bike. Met some family members from New Zealand & asked about him & the movie. His daughter-in-law said it was all true stuff in the movie, but she said she didn't think his wife was very happy about it. The movie is a series of true events which spanned 10 years & were condensed into the film, so it really was a story about his life.