Bottle's Drift Dog Build

Hey guys, i figured id make a thread for my drift kart yerf dog that i entered into the 2017 build contest since i have already done some work and this can potentially go beyond the contest end date so here we go.

frame as it was when i picked it up, got it off some kid for 170, was missing alot of harware and virtualy everything was stripped, came with 2 motors, a honda clone and an old briggs. Clone was done, had a hole in the piston and a bent rod, and the briggs was old ans missing alot of parts, so the next day i drove 3 hours away to buy these for 115, both not running.

(I know its sideways, dont feel like fixing)

First i rebuilt the axle as it was missing alot of hardware and one of the wheels was held on by a c-clip, lol.

Mock up of the briggs while i waited for the crank shaft and driver pulley

new crank

removed governor and oil sensor while i was in there

Pulley came so i mounted (upside-own again sorry lol)

Ghetto rigged a gas tank so i could drive it for the first time. was alot quicker than i expected! Fist run was sketchy, the throttle stuck and the brakes didnt work, lmao!

picked up some sick new seats haha!!

And... in!!

Finnaly got my disk brake which was good because the worn out band brake didnt do crap!

this is definitely the right way to attach a caliper haha!! safety first!!

I'm not what you would call a good welder, but this is my best ever weld dont hate it holds, lol

used the stock brake line with no mods other than the mount

Had to play with the spacing to get everything to work.

Entered

pick apart was 40% off today so i got headrests and a handbrake. swung by home depot after to get some work bench tops for the seat upholstry so i dont slide around, and i installed seatbelts earlyer this week as well.

and handbrake mounted but i need the cable still. ill hit the bike shop tomorrow if i get home in time from work but i doubt i will.

and now its up to date. i have alot of plans, i want to widen the axle and front to fight flipping, do front brakes, and swap in a 200cc from a bike or quad or at least do a manual clutch, but time and money will tell, haha.

Last edited:
i got off work in-time to load it up and head to the bike shop to get the e-brake cable run.
i would have liked a thicker cable, but this is what is easily available to me.

dont look at the welds:thumbsup:

not the prettiest set up but it seems to lock up fine. im still waiting on my crank seal in the mail so i haven't had the chance to try it out for real.

Ok guys I got a question, I'm in need of more power, in the dirt it's fast, but it even struggles to do doughnuts. I know I need a manual clutch and that will help a lot, but it will be a pain to set up because i will need to run it off the jack shaft, but what am I better off doing for power? I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible, but is it worth investing in this motor, or should I get another power plant? I've been wanting to do a 125cc atv motor with a manual clutch and hopefully reverse, but used motorcycle and atv motors are damn near impossible to find let alone cheap. Is there another option I have? I also don't want to chop up the back of the frame if I can avoid it.

Today i had a little time to replace my crankshaft oil seal due to a short day at work.

there was a weird plasticy thing that seemed to have built up under the old seal

cleaned up and put back together with proper timing and i put this filler tube with dipstic on that i had lying around and now i can check the oil from the drivers seat haha

was to dark to really do anything but i drove it up the block and the e-brake is slightly in the way of my knee (partly because im too big for this thing lol). seems like the caliper isnt releasing properly either, hmm. might have to add a return spring on it. oh well, started first pull, ill just have to make sure the leak is gone and address these issues my next day off. and we are a little low on funds at the moment so it might be a bit till i do anything drastic again :)

well it runs now and doesn't appear to be leaking. i took it out in the rain and the new tourque spring seems to be working because it was pretty easy to hold low speed slides (yay). im sure with a few power mods this thing will really spin them. i really look forward to taking this thing out when it dries up and see what it can do.

i put a spring on the brake line and it appears it worked, brake doesn't seem to stick anymore.

my grandpa brought this jerry can because he thought i could use it as a gas tank but its way too big lol. would have been cool but ill just keep it as a gas can for now.

im thinking about relocating the gas tank to the front just before the pedals to try to distribute the weight a bit however little it might actually help. it would make the back look a bit cleaner too, hmm...

So today i finally finished successfully relocating the gas tank to the front. At first i was trying to get the fuel to feed with an undersized fuel pump i found in my pile of junk, but soon found out the pump was no good (the reed valves were not working).

so i baught this mikuni fuel pump at my local mower shop for 26 bux.

even though i knew the pump worked, whatever i tried i could not get a good pulse signal off the motor. I had it spliced into the valve cover pressure bleed off line witch ended up being the problem because of the oil proof valve in the cover. ended up having to drill a hole in the cover and put a fitting for the line there and it worked like a champ!

As it sits now

I haven't had a chance to take it out and see how the pump works at high rpm yet. hopefully it works fine. i think it looks alot better without the tank flopping around in the back, the better weight distribution is a step in the right direction too however minor.

today i had a chance to put on the brake line fittings i sourced off the sea doo.

a lot better that my previous ghetto setup lol

And i got started making the flange for my exhaust pipe.

Made from a 1/4 inch steel stake. i had to weld extra material on the side because it wasn't wide enough but it was the only thing that thick i could find.

So i finished my pipe today. i made it from the tubing of the generator frame the motor came in lol.

Not the best welder lol.

And then i opened up the intake a bit

and then i ran it for a bit to read the plug and the pipe turned a beautiful color :)

starting to get essayer to hold slides with the extra power!! probably gunna correct steering geometry tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Yesterday i took it for a shake down and turns out i didn't leave enough clearance on the pipe for the full suspension travel lol. Pulled the threads right out, luckily there was enough thread deep down because the bolts were too short. longer bolts did the trick :thumbsup:.

then i had to cut and weld to make more room.

Then i corrected the ackerman and added a little more steering angle.

Definitely need to do those new wheels with front brakes. Broke a bearing and both front tires have been flat and bald.

As it sits

Running a bit rich (probably due to the large fuel pump). i hoped opening the intake and exhaust would fix this but looks like not enough.

put a fuel filter on to try to restrict flow a bit

Seems to have improved a hair. sounds better too