Bought weird mini for $50 and the previous owner was a grade school engineer.

So I recently purchased a mini bike with the intent of making it look somewhat post-apocalyptic. Unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase the previous owner had done some "clever" modifications to the thing.

First on the list of weird ideas was ditching the normally fat tires and rims in place of dirt bike wheels. While this gives it a pretty cool look it does a few less awesome things as well.
First the guy couldn't be bothered to fabricate the proper axles for either the front or the rear so instead he takes what fits somewhat and chops off the threads, drills a hole and sticks a cotter pin through it. The wheel wobbles like a day drunk and is terrifying.

Secondly the guy did the same for the rear axle as well. No threaded bolt, just a hacked up bit of steel with a cotter pin through it. However he decided that since there wasn't a nut holding the thing together like normal that he'd better use a rod that is slightly too small to fit.

This jagaloon hammered a flippin rod through the wheel bearings and hub so that it would be snug. As you can imagine this creates a number of problems. Namely removing the rear wheel was an enormous chore and took me a good 10 minutes of hammering to get the bolt out. Luckily I didn't damage the hub or bearings.

Third in the list of difficulties is the fact that he used mismatched wheels from different bikes, so the axle sizes are weird and I have no clue what the hell is going on with it.
So my problem now becomes a scramble to find bolts or axles that will fit this thing.

I'm pretty sure the front is 10mm at around 190-200mm long, the rear seems like it's 12mm and around 200mm in length, which would make it similar if not identical to some Honda fasteners, but here's the problem: the bearings aren't a 12mm fit, so now I need to either find the proper sized bearings as well as an axle that will fit or I just find an axle to fit my bearings.

Oddly enough, I bartered to get this bike which is well in the spirit of Bartertown and through some bizarre twist of fate the previous owner hobbled together a post apocalyptic machine just for me on some weird way.

Crappy welds, awful fits, bad decisions, and deathtrap status aside I kind of love this thing.

Now I need to find axles for it that aren't hobbled together. Any idea where I'd start? 20170610_180854.jpg 20170610_210801.jpg 20170610_210808.jpg

I have no calipers, so I can't measure the parts just yet. I'm hoping that Columbus Fasteners has something that will work for me. I don't need it to be beautiful, I just need it to be sturdy.

Luckily the engine starts up with zero issues even though the throttle is a bit weird and janky. All in all the whole bike is a peculiar mess of choices, but I really like it.

That seat cover has to go though.

Harbor Freight in your town will have calipers for less than $20. My work calipers are $200+ ... but my home ones are from Harbor Freight ... they work well in the garage .. they are one of the more often used tools.

I have no calipers, so I can't measure the parts just yet. I'm hoping that Columbus Fasteners has something that will work for me. I don't need it to be beautiful, I just need it to be sturdy.

Luckily the engine starts up with zero issues even though the throttle is a bit weird and janky. All in all the whole bike is a peculiar mess of choices, but I really like it.

That seat cover has to go though.

KB2ROCKET

I like it
it could be better but if it worked I would just have fun with it
not everything needs to be a show machine
enjoy cool bike

That looks like a good start. Even a Mad Max bike should be safe to ride though...and that should be your priority, making sure the wheels don't fall off and the brakes work. Don't forget a kill switch if your throttle gets wonky. The rest is lipstick and rouge (or chrome paint and tattoos):hammer::grind::weld::hack:=:scooter:

That looks like a good start. Even a Mad Max bike should be safe to ride though...and that should be your priority, making sure the wheels don't fall off and the brakes work. Don't forget a kill switch if your throttle gets wonky. The rest is lipstick and rouge (or chrome paint and tattoos):hammer::grind::weld::hack:=:scooter:

So far the issues are as follows:

1. Axles are janky and non-existent, so I need to get some.
2. No rear brakes, but the front work just fine.
3. The seat is not pleasing, but I will be covering it in leather anyway, so it doesn't matter that much anyway.
4. Extreme splitting and dry rot on the front tire, but it's not a problem as I ordered a new one.

That's really about it. There's a kill switch already mounted on the handlebars so that's not a problem.

I don't even know how fast it can go with a 5hp Briggs engine in it.

Also, how do I identify this thing? I've never worked on a Briggs engine before but they seem pretty damn simple to me.

Explanation One: Where there is a will, there is a way. It means if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to do it. A very old saying, and in use by English speakers since approximately 1650.

Explanation Two: Those ugly "Donk" giant wheels on that Nova reflect the Chinese Pit Bike wheels, (rims) that someone slapped on your Alexander Reynolds mini bike.

Having avoided the "Dumbing Down" process, where I don't assign human characteristics to farm animals, or invent snappy social networking threads on a mini bike forum, I operate a public service of translation for those who have succumbed to the Brave, New, World. (Aldous Huxley, 1931)

Your engine could be a 130202 model Briggs, for essentially any internal parts required. It has a Tecumseh carburetor on it, probably a later model carburetor which might not contain a high speed metering jet. I say this because I can see the pollution control fuel vapor line coming off of the vent. The older models which are available from our Chinese pals via Ebay, are easy to source and inexpensive. When the Tecumseh carburetor modification was made, they had to configure a manifold, which if it doesn't leak, is all good. But as I said, a better, more adjustable carburetor may be an improvement.

The throttle linkage looks rag-tag, and per your comments, operates like it. There are several options available, from after market linkages which go to the top of the shroud and head lug to simple cable clamps and U channel aluminum bolted to the same place.

Lastly, all of this information and more is available throughout this site. However the search function within this site is lacking. I recommend using a standard Boolean Google search, the results of which, will lead you back to this site. There is not a lot of information elsewhere.

I'd supply hyperlinks, but my days of researching for strangers on the internet are over, as no good deed goes unpunished. (Clare Boothe Luce, sometime in the 1930's)

I wish you the best of luck. But you're going to have to do some reading to educate yourself on what is available, and how to get there. Once you begin that, there will be more people willing to lend a hand.

Explanation One: Where there is a will, there is a way. It means if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to do it. A very old saying, and in use by English speakers since approximately 1650.

Explanation Two: Those ugly "Donk" giant wheels on that Nova reflect the Chinese Pit Bike wheels, (rims) that someone slapped on your Alexander Reynolds mini bike.

Having avoided the "Dumbing Down" process, where I don't assign human characteristics to farm animals, or invent snappy social networking threads on a mini bike forum, I operate a public service of translation for those who have succumbed to the Brave, New, World. (Aldous Huxley, 1931)

Your engine could be a 130202 model Briggs, for essentially any internal parts required. It has a Tecumseh carburetor on it, probably a later model carburetor which might not contain a high speed metering jet. I say this because I can see the pollution control fuel vapor line coming off of the vent. The older models which are available from our Chinese pals via Ebay, are easy to source and inexpensive. When the Tecumseh carburetor modification was made, they had to configure a manifold, which if it doesn't leak, is all good. But as I said, a better, more adjustable carburetor may be an improvement.

The throttle linkage looks rag-tag, and per your comments, operates like it. There are several options available, from after market linkages which go to the top of the shroud and head lug to simple cable clamps and U channel aluminum bolted to the same place.

Lastly, all of this information and more is available throughout this site. However the search function within this site is lacking. I recommend using a standard Boolean Google search, the results of which, will lead you back to this site. There is not a lot of information elsewhere.

I'd supply hyperlinks, but my days of researching for strangers on the internet are over, as no good deed goes unpunished. (Clare Boothe Luce, sometime in the 1930's)

I wish you the best of luck. But you're going to have to do some reading to educate yourself on what is available, and how to get there. Once you begin that, there will be more people willing to lend a hand.

Thanks for simultaneously answering an ignorant person's questions and talking down to them at the same time. That's quite a feat you've pulled off there.

Somehow everyone else in this thread managed to be civil and helpful, so I'm not sure what I did to offend you, but clearly it was worth an avalanche of passive aggression.

Remember how when you were a kid your parents (hopefully) told you something along the lines of "Don't be afraid to ask questions" ? Your response, while helpful was also condescending and passive aggressive.

You are very correct about the search engine of this forum sucking. It blows as well as sucks, and that's why I made this post because I couldn't find what I needed and in addition to that this is my first minibike.

You're doing a great job making people feel welcome, but gate keeping only looks good on football players.

Last edited:
Thanks for simultaneously answering an ignorant person's questions and talking down to them at the same time. That's quite a feat you've pulled off there.

Somehow everyone else in this thread managed to be civil and helpful, so I'm not sure what I did to offend you, but clearly it was worth an avalanche of passive aggression.

Remember how when you were a kid your parents (hopefully) told you something along the lines of "Don't be afraid to ask questions" ? Your response, while helpful was also condescending and passive aggressive.

You are very correct about the search engine of this forum sucking. It blows as well as sucks, and that's why I made this post because I couldn't find what I needed and in addition to that this is my first minibike.

You're doing a great job making people feel welcome, but gate keeping only looks good on football players.
You are quite welcome. We're on page two now, and I am the only one who bothered to answer your questions on axioms, Nova's, engine series, and Tecumseh carburetor modification. And I am the ONLY one you have "thanked."

Indeed, I am a condescending prick, and should probably be fired from my job as the official welcome wagon. Please continue to ask questions, as I am sure the knowledgeable folks on here will bend over backwards to help you. Most of us do that on a regular basis for those that attempt to help themselves.

You are quite welcome. We're on page two now, and I am the only one who bothered to answer your questions on axioms, Nova's, engine series, and Tecumseh carburetor modification. And I am the ONLY one you have "thanked."

Indeed, I am a condescending prick, and should probably be fired from my job as the official welcome wagon. Please continue to ask questions, as I am sure the knowledgeable folks on here will bend over backwards to help you. Most of us do that on a regular basis for those that attempt to help themselves.

Yeah, you're a piece of work, man.

You didn't have to lead with all the outright hostility at all, you went out of your way to be a complete prick.

You'd be a shitty teacher that's for sure.

Anyway, like I said, I appreciate you answering my questions, but for real man, there's zero need to be an asshole about any of this.

Without knowing you I'd be willing to bet you're not this much of a prick to people's faces, so why be so hostile now?

I'm here out of ignorance seeking knowledge, the site is flawed in the way the search function works and you pounce on me for expressing ignorance and then you act like you deserve some kind of accolade for the backhanded assistance you've given me?

What do you gain from picking a fight online? How does this help anyone?

There are zero identifying marks on my engine, so I couldn't look up the model number. There are no identifying marks on the carb so I couldn't identify that either. All I know about this thing is that it's an Alexander Reynolds and it's been hacked to hell which apparently is offensive to people.

For real man, I'm not going anywhere, but if you see my posts, please either keep moving or keep your opinions to yourself. Your particular brand of help isn't welcome if you're going to offer it up with a dagger behind your back.