Brand new Coleman bike starts and is in full throttle!

So my BIL got a new Coleman bike, it's a 6.5 gx200 clone. First time he started it .....it was in full throttle running. Glad we held the brake while starting it.
I see the throttle stem that's attached to the throttle stop that rests against the idle screw on the carb, seems to not be resting on the idle screw. There is nothing to give it tension to make it rest on the idle screw so it causes the butterfly to be open.
I checked the governor arm and springs and they looked right. I removed the arm, reinstalled it. Checked the governor springs and the arm still has nothing to pull it back allowing the stem to rest on idle screw .

Any ideas?

Last edited:
What does the throttle linkage look like? It could be a throttle cable binding or throttle linkage bolt too tight?
I disconected the throttle cable so there was slack, that wasn't the problem. The springs on that piece above go to the arm attached to the governor in the motor. The arm pushed towards the rear of engine which is full throttle from the twist of the governor almost like it was suppose go the other way. When I pull the arm towards front of engine it's closed at idle. Let go and it springs back to full throttle.
I removed both springs, naturally the governor stem that's attached to arm swings to rear of engine.

It seems the only thing that would close that idle bar would be the arm which is only attached to governor in the motor. I had the same springs on my bike when I removed the governor so I gave him my springs to try and same problem. What's suppose to make the throttle stem and butterfly close and rest on idle screw?

trinik7597

If the big lever is in full throttle position it acts as a bypass ... Move the lever to the idle position and loosen the nut that holds it a little for easier throttle operation . should take care of your issue