Break in GX200 with synthetic oil?

Hello,
I'm just wondering if any of you guys broke your engine in with synthetic oil? The oil manufacturers claim you can but what about on a gx200 that's never been started before? Is there a special synthetic oil for break-in? I just don't want to switch between oils. Or would switching once not hurt anything?

65ShelbyClone

You're going to (or at least should) be changing the oil frequently during break-in anyway, so it makes sense to me to use less expensive conventional oil. Switching to synthetic after that certainly is not going to hurt anything. Either way, be sure the engine gets some proper load on it to help seat the rings.

I would not use a synthetic.

I would use something minerla and Intended for break in if this engne means that much to you ( cost wise )

Okay, what's a good non synthetic oil? I'm just used to buying the Mobil 1 or the craftsman (non-syn) for the lawnmower.

Thanks

65ShelbyClone

Anything stocked at the nearest auto parts store is going to be good, even the no-name house brand. Modern mineral-based engine oils really don't get the credit they deserve IMO.

Just don't let it sit there and idle.

Start it up and let it warm gently for a couple of minuts while you check for problems and do any last minut tuning.
Then ride it gentle.
Change the oil after 10 minuts.
Warm up again nice little ride again but nothing abusive.

A couple of short rides getthe engine warm and under some load so things can seat, never run the same constant speed for long.

Check oil, look for leaks and anything loose.

Change oil often in a new engine.
No filter to get the cuttings out so its in your best interest.

Now after break-in, what's up with karting oils? I guess they are designed for these engines? Do they not last as long or do they last as long as regular oil would under like conditions? And does the oil weight go up or down as performance goes up?

Lol, all this oil crap confuses me.

Now after break-in, what's up with karting oils? I guess they are designed for these engines? Do they not last as long or do they last as long as regular oil would under like conditions? And does the oil weight go up or down as performance goes up?

Lol, all this oil crap confuses me.
Don't know what fuel or rpm's but skip the syn oils for a single cyl engine. Period.
And what oldschool said.

Okay. If it's not needed I won't start using it again. In my buggy I started using synthetic though so I don't want to switch back and forth.

I'll ask Russ at NR what oil he recommend for when I mod the engine. I only want to mod it as much as I can with it being a reliable low maintenance engine still.

do not break in on synthetic the rings will never seat properly use none synthetic
That`s a popular myth but it just isn`t true. When I built my Buell Lightning spec Sportster I broke it in on Amsoil that was 25,000 miles ago. Break in will take longer with synthetic but the engine will last longer.

That`s a popular myth but it just isn`t true. When I built my Buell Lightning spec Sportster I broke it in on Amsoil that was 25,000 miles ago. Break in will take longer with synthetic but the engine will last longer.
I broke in the TDI engine in my Jetta on synthetic too....

But you need to remember the differences in machining.
The cylinder finnish on some engines is so good they are practicaly broken in before they are fired.

Clones are not so well machined.
I am still flip flopping on the correct break in for a built clone using the best finnish and parts on offer.
In short I don't have all the answeres and to be truely honest I might just used some ND 30 and 10.5 springs on the next engine jus to be sure the rings bite and the cam doesn't crap out.

As for types of oils again I am at a cross roads.
I always have put my faith in diesel rated multi fleet oils like Rotella T.
My faith has been shaken because these new versions lack many of the additives I placed my faith in.

Kart race oils DO offer some advanges if used correctly. They are generaly thinner and higher in some additives the EPA feels damage cat converters. They make more HP....
On the flip side of that they also lack many of the detergent qualities I feel are better suited to my type of engines ( unless you change the oil much more often and are willing to spend a lot more money ).

So for now I think you are best served running a quality name brand single viscosity synthetic ( depending on price ).

And thats all I have to say on the subject now.
Decide for yourself if you want to try break in lubes, race oils or something ina 20 litre pail from Walmart.

The reason break-in takes longer (and sometimes doesn't happen) with synthetic oil is that synthetics are such good lubricants. The rings need some friction to "break-in". And before some of these serious engine gurus chime in, what I've said is an over-simplification. The "serious builders" can give you all the technical jargon. I could in my younger days. BTW, I've used Castrol for over 30 years with great success. Tim.

I agree.....

I realy don't feel like an arguement.
The best thing to do is what has worked for you in the past and given good results.

For the novice Ithink its best to be conservative in all things from what parts you use to what oils you choose.

Its not going to get any less complicated in the future but once you fidn a comfort level then stick with what works and build on things from there.