Briggs 12.5hp I/C Gold mods

Hi Folks,
I am new to this site and have enjoyed seeing the modifications to the engines I grew up with.
I am building an engine for a Craftsman lawn tractor. I have 2 briggs engines that i plan to build one out of.
One engine has a broken rod, the block and cylinder is in good shape as far as not scored or damaged. I am going to clean and hone the cylinder.
I am also going to port the intake and exhaust and the intake manifold as much as cleaning the casting flash and imperfections. As far as grinding the eyebrow, I have seen pictures of the material removed from the block is just above the compression ring.
If I keep the governor will removing the material benefit this engine 3500 rpm? I can see removing the material helping a high rpm engine.
Also, if I do remove the material, wont the engine loose compression? How do I get this back.

The other engine I have not taken apart yet, that will happen today. I will clean both engines and prep both block and keep one as a spare.

My goal is to build a strong engine that I can use on my lawn tractor. The tractor will be built as a mild mud tractor. but used as a utility tractor, not a grass mowing machine.

Thanks,
Ken