Briggs flathead cam question

Thepaetsguy

Nothing too scientific here, right? Mostly trial and error based on common sense and test drives?
I appreciate the advice in the compression release.
I read the cam section in jimmys glens building a flathead 5hp and only thing I took out of it was one valve has to have an easy opening but can slam shut and one can have a harsher opening but should close easier. that’s as scientific as I got with it. I put the cam in a vice weld two lines right under the tip on each ramp then fill the little gap left at the tip. When grinding I watch the cam compression release bump and start from the bottom of the two lines and grind towards the tip. once the transition from cam face to weld face is smooth for the lifter measure and grind the top down to just above the calipers stock measurement.. On all four cams once done and welded the lobes looked advanced on the cam. I was worried about that messing with when everything opens and closes.. but I have had nothing but awesome success with it. a 93ss would be perfect and so simple to just drop in though.

I have some spares, rather play around a little. I might make the exhaust lobe into a compression release, make the intake close around BDC .
That might give me a better idle and a different exhaust sound. Sounds like a challenge.
Thanks again!
Edit: With a spare 4 horse short block on the bench and a degree wheel, I think we can actually measure duration, lift , overlap and head to valve clearance on the bench. We need a small bench mounted belt sander. Where is that Harbor Freight credit card....?