Broke main jet on H35, chances of B&S fitting?

I cleaned out the carb on my Tecumseh H35 and was about to be finished until the main jet broke during installation. Luckily it broke at the hole going through it, so I was able to unscrew it with a flat head. As I was figuring out my plan of attack, I remembered I had a Briggs and Stratton 6.5 I/C motor that I wasn't using that's currently mounted on a mower. I have to take the motor off to get the screw out, but from what I could see with it on, they look very similiar. So my question is, what are the chances that I'm this lucky? I'm going to try it tonight, but figured I'd get some opinions first. Thanks.

oh i would say 50/50 ya know slim and none . i have not found too many parts that change over with out work on them . post a pic of the part i think i have a spare used one that mite work for ya .

My father was cleaning up the carb on my Oliver 550 for me when I was in Afghanistan and dropped the entire needle valve in the grass:scared:. He said he searched and searched for it but could not find it. So he went over to the farm and took the needle valve off of an old B&S motor we had. My tractor runs better now than it did with the original needle valve. Go figure. So I would say you have a pretty good chance that it will work, but there sure is a lot I don't know about these little engines. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

A Briggs and Stratton is never gonna work on a Tecumseh... I can think of a couple that are similar but man that's a pretty exact part and theres no two that are the same... The NON adjustable carbs are closest I'd say but still... :shrug: I would say your best bet would be try the entire carb if anything.... But if it's a newer vertical shaft lawn mower briggs style bowl carb, it will be a different bolt pattern too. :doah:

Is your Tecumseh carb the older fully adjustable carb with a adjustment needle in the main? If so you are better off fixing that carb correctly. :thumbsup:

A rebuild kit will come with that part and is pretty cheap. If your throttle shaft and choke shafts are worn out and sloppy it will probably never run right, although YOU CAN use parts from newer Tecumseh carbs in the older bodys.... :thumbsup:

Quite often a 2004 non adjustable POS Tecumseh carb throttle shaft and felt gasket installed in a worn out 1967 Rupp carburetor saves the day... :bowdown:

Always try to keep that old adjustable Tecumseh carb running and alive because they are great carbs and all these modern, fandagled, idiot proofed, tree friendly, NON ADJUSTABLE carbs are garbage. :hammer:

Jet didn't fit. I took 1 bolt off the B&S carb and decided to make myself a drink instead :wink: I'll get a picture posted either tonight or early tomorrow.

Ratbike

I cleaned out the carb on my Tecumseh H35 and was about to be finished until the main jet broke during installation. Luckily it broke at the hole going through it, so I was able to unscrew it with a flat head. As I was figuring out my plan of attack, I remembered I had a Briggs and Stratton 6.5 I/C motor that I wasn't using that's currently mounted on a mower. I have to take the motor off to get the screw out, but from what I could see with it on, they look very similiar. So my question is, what are the chances that I'm this lucky? I'm going to try it tonight, but figured I'd get some opinions first. Thanks.
Say what they want....give it a shot ...you never know!:gunsmilie:

I just ordered one of those kits yesterday because I broke my adjustable jet off when I was trying to tighten it up. :doah: I took the advice that another member gave me and ordered a rebuild kit. I got the whole 9 yards including the carb to intake gasket for 15 bucks. That is including the 4 bucks for priority mail. I called a place I found on the internet called "Buffalo small engine" and the guy was really cool when I called him. I gave him the the kit number (31840) and I was on my way. I hope this helps. I should have my kit by tomorrow and then I will be able to tell you how it looks. Good luck!

The bolt didn't fit from the other motor. I went ahead and ordered these parts:

36439 * Gasket Set (Incl. items marked 1 $10.88
640131 High Speed Bowl Nut 1 $8.02
27110A Bowl Nut Washer 1 $2.10
631028A * Float Bowl "O" Ring 1 $1.93

They should be here early next week. Hopefully this gets the mini bike running the way it needs to be. I'll keep you all posted, thanks to everyone for your input.

The "jet" on this carb doesn't have an o-ring. It's also non-adjustable so it doesn't have the valve and spring. The brass washer is one of the items I listed in my order.