Bugatti Veyron

What more do you want?
If I was in the position to buy a Veyron for a dd, I wouldn't. I'd build something like andy frost did instead, wayyyyy better imo. Veyron is amazing for what it has accomplished, but its not my cup of tea.

Cheaper, faster, brutal, The Red Victor, fully street legal 9.3litre twin turbo monster. And a second to 60mph, holy crap

[YOUTUBE]YouTube - Fifth Gear - 2200 bhp Vauxhall Victor[/YOUTUBE]

Neck

Growing up is optional
Ooops sorry, miscalculated! it's only $1333.00 per horse power! No seriously the person that has 1.6 mil. to spend on a car that he/she will actually drive, won't have the time to spend 2 hours working on the car after every trip! I am just curious what needs to be done to the Veyron after that little 5 mile banzai run.

Id still prefer a gt-40 i think. Doesnt resemble a space ship but still does 200 with the right gearing and you can buy an exact replica for little more than 2 sets of tires :) And its from the 60s :laugh:

Oldsalt

1.7 gallons a minute explains alot if you understand thermodymanics.

Delta T..........anyone care to add?
I have a 53 Studebaker that burns more fuel than that per minute. I have always been unimpressed with EuroJunk. Especially one-off factory jobs, that they try to put off as "sorta a production example", that keep coming out of Italy and Germany and etc.. There must be something spcial in the air over there. Over the years they have done so much lying about dyno charts and top speeds that I, for one, don't wonder why they never take it to the flats and show us their stuff with SCTA officials present.

As for the money? Hell, that is no more loot than buying a typical air plane. And I don't see a row of people at the local air port with their fingers through the wires of the chain-link fence going "Jee! Golly!".

Neck

Growing up is optional
As for the money? Hell, that is no more loot than buying a typical air plane. And I don't see a row of people at the local air port with their fingers through the wires of the chain-link fence going "Jee! Golly!".[/QUOTE]

Interesting analogy, but it would be people that could afford to buy a Lear Jet that would be buying these cars! But if you will, the cars that would be in the same class as the Veyron would be in, would be faster and unable to be driven on the street.

What do you suppose George has in this rocket?!

Oldsalt

As for the money? Hell, that is no more loot than buying a typical air plane. And I don't see a row of people at the local air port with their fingers through the wires of the chain-link fence going "Jee! Golly!".
Interesting analogy, but it would be people that could afford to buy a Lear Jet that would be buying these cars! But if you will, the cars that would be in the same class as the Veyron would be in, would be faster and unable to be driven on the street.

What do you suppose George has in this rocket?!
[/QUOTE]

You are right but ya gotta admit that most folks are fixated on the money that they cost and WANT to believe in the performance hype. The price of a twin prop driven plane will match the price of them cars. Poteet is one of my heroes. I'm not familiar with the pictured machine and I cant read the class numbers.

You might agree with me that the exoticar folks have been lying through their teeth for years. The success of there endeavors require bigger and better numbers every year. My question still remains: If everything is on the up and up then why don't they simply drag one over to the Flats and push it off? Never has happened, that I am aware of, that a super duper EuroJunk maker has done that.

Neck

Growing up is optional
You doubt Top Gear's GPS system?! No seriously....all the safety equipment the SCTA would make them install before a run, and the way that car is designed it would probably compromise the cars structure, and just plain not fit. And at 1.6 mill. a pop, it's just not financially feasible for just a couple of runs, you agree?

You might agree with me that the exoticar folks have been lying through their teeth for years. The success of there endeavors require bigger and better numbers every year. My question still remains: If everything is on the up and up then why don't they simply drag one over to the Flats and push it off? Never has happened, that I am aware of, that a super duper EuroJunk maker has done that.
The previous record holder (scc ultimate aero) acheived its record in West Richland Washington, verified by Guinness just like the Veyron. As far as I understand Guinness is the standard for "fastest production car". So I suspect they feel a scta run would prove nothing and be a waste of time and resources, that is at least to the people who would have the means to purchase one. Not to mention pavement is real world.

Oldsalt

The previous record holder (scc ultimate aero) acheived its record in West Richland Washington, verified by Guinness just like the Veyron. As far as I understand Guinness is the standard for "fastest production car". So I suspect they feel a scta run would prove nothing and be a waste of time and resources, that is at least to the people who would have the means to purchase one. Not to mention pavement is real world.
Yes indeed. Them Guinness record recording guys would know for sure. These are the folks that also list records for [and I'm not making this up]:
-Fastest time to Pluck a Turkey
-Most Cockroaches Eaten
-Most Ferrero Rocher Chocolates Eaten in one minute
-Largest Russian Nesting Doll [Called a matryoshka in Russian]

As I live about 50 miles from West Richland here in South East Washington so it does come as a shock that there is a Land Speed Course so close by! Moses Lake, further North, has an old WWII bomber runway we have been trying to get permission to use...to no avail, and it isn't even the required 7 miles long. We, with tongue in cheek, have talked about using a nice straight section of the Highway 84 that is about 30 miles South of Richland near Boardman OR, but as it is across the border into Oregon and my attorney is not a member of the Bar in that state. As our A/GCC can attain better than 250 MPH and operates at about 110 db a guy would have to 100% plan on an arrest for felony endangerment.

My money is not on Top Gear's veracity [which is zero on any scale] and certainly not on Guinness' expertize [excepting things that relate to tasty cockroaches and hastily plucked turkeys]. Therefore, I'll continue to place my confidence in the 60 plus years SCTA has been doing the job.

Yes indeed. Them Guinness record recording guys would know for sure. These are the folks that also list records for [and I'm not making this up]:
-Fastest time to Pluck a Turkey
-Most Cockroaches Eaten
-Most Ferrero Rocher Chocolates Eaten in one minute
-Largest Russian Nesting Doll [Called a matryoshka in Russian]

As I live about 50 miles from West Richland here in South East Washington so it does come as a shock that there is a Land Speed Course so close by! Moses Lake, further North, has an old WWII bomber runway we have been trying to get permission to use...to no avail, and it isn't even the required 7 miles long. We, with tongue in cheek, have talked about using a nice straight section of the Highway 84 that is about 30 miles South of Richland near Boardman OR, but as it is across the border into Oregon and my attorney is not a member of the Bar in that state. As our A/GCC can attain better than 250 MPH and operates at about 110 db a guy would have to 100% plan on an arrest for felony endangerment.

My money is not on Top Gear's veracity [which is zero on any scale] and certainly not on Guinness' expertize [excepting things that relate to tasty cockroaches and hastily plucked turkeys]. Therefore, I'll continue to place my confidence in the 60 plus years SCTA has been doing the job.
SSC Ultimate Aero TT another speed record atempt at the end of August - Top Speed Heres a link for a story done on it. It even outlines the testing process/guidelines. How come this guy can get a section of highway shut down and you cant?

Oldsalt

I would not rent a closed public road because my competitors would then spend so much time laughing at me. How anyone that possessed even has a small knowledge of competition cars could believe that a Guinness 'record' [?] would have any merit when compared with a SCTA record is beyond my comprehension. These folks don't take the car to the Flats and pay their 70 dollars per team member and the 500 dollars to run the car because they would get their doors blown off in any class they fit into. They spend many times that because they are only interested in publicity. They have an ax to grind.

Maybe, after all, the city slickers over there in West Richland would not rent a road to us because the 53 Studebaker sitting in my hobby shop is faster. But I'm not going to ask in any case.

I would not rent a closed public road because my competitors would then spend so much time laughing at me. How anyone that possessed even has a small knowledge of competition cars could believe that a Guinness 'record' [?] would have any merit when compared with a SCTA record is beyond my comprehension. These folks don't take the car to the Flats and pay their 70 dollars per team member and the 500 dollars to run the car because they would get their doors blown off in any class they fit into. They spend many times that because they are only interested in publicity. They have an ax to grind.

Of course they are looking for publicity, they are out to sell cars. While I know what the guinness records are I have no idea what the scta records are....... so I looked them up. Seems that the Veyron and Ultimate would fit into the production bgt class engines A and B. The current records are 246 for A (Veyron) and 251 for B (Ultimate).