Bump stick of choice?

65ShelbyClone

Installed the cam, lined the dots up on the cam and crank. (Although I don’t recall if I made sure it was TDC, if it was not can the cam be installed 180 out?)
The cam only be installed 180° out if you don't line up the dots. You did it correctly by the sound of it.

Set the valve lash at what I believe was TDC. My feeler gauge only went down to .004, so I used the side wall of a PBR can. (I am picking up a better feeler gauge tonight to recheck the lash.)
Do you know how thick the can wall actually is?

Although a good feeler gauge set is indispensible for the toolbox, I think 0.004-0.006" intake and 0.006-0.008" exhaust clearance would be fine.

It didn’t want to fire without giving it a little gas. With choke on I got it to fire, but it didn’t want to run with the choke off.

Suspected too small of a pilot jet. I swapped jets - replaced the stock #15 pilot jet with a #17.5 and swapped out the main jet that was a #95 but I drilled it out a bit (have to go back and check how much tonight) to a #130 (which may be a bit much, might put a #125 in it, I have one in stock).
The problem with drilling jets is that twist drills always make a hole slightly larger than their actual diameter. Reamers are the only way to get an accurate diameter and they each cost at least 200-500% what a new jet does. On top of that, the only way to accurately check the final I.D. is with pin gauges. Again, each are 200-500% the cost of a new jet.

I found another screw on the side of my fakuni, turned it 1/8 of a turn counter clock wise and the idle smoothed out to just around 1600 rpm. Does anyone know what that screw on the side is?
Without having one to look at, that screw probably sets the idle slide stop. You should be able to see the slide creep up or down when it's turned.

And I noticed the occasional back fire on sudden off throttle…
That can sometimes be indicative of a lean idle mixture.

But I have a bigger problem. This thing is an SOB to start; it still wants someone to work the throttle a bit while another person pulls. My arm sore today from pulling last night (no kick back though) lol. I’m wondering if its timing related, or if the higher compression head created an octane sensitivity issue 65shelby clone mentioned. (I’m not sure if the black mamba jr. would be considered a mild or lump cam.) I’ve only run high end pump gas in this motor, no race fuel yet.
Hard starting isn't usually caused by an octane issue; mixture or ignition are more common culprits. I would classify the Black Mamba as a moderately aggressive cam. Does it come with a cam card that has advertised duration? Tim's site only has the 0.050" specs, which I can't use use for figuring out overlap.

One feature that digital EFI/ignition controllers will spoil you with is the ability to set really conservative advance numbers for cranking and starting. It can be pulled back to 10° BTDC during cranking, or even less, to help get high compression engines spinning. I am not a fan of locked-out timing for engines that have a dynamic load range. Once a utility engine is taken off of the generator or pump, that's what happens. I'm really thinking about injecting the GX340 I have...

Thank you for the input.

The PBR can wall was less than 0.004. I'll definitely re-adjust the lash this evening.

I'll check the one screw on the side this evening and see if the slide moves around.

Lean idle mix causing the backfire? Very interesting, I'll investigate that as well.

I did get a spec sheet from Tim with the cam. I forgot my phone at home today otherwise I would post a pic of it now. I'll post that later.

Do you have any recommendations for a digital EFI/ignition controller? I'll start doing some research. An adjustable timing curve seems like a really useful feature.

Thanks again!

65ShelbyClone

Lean idle mix causing the backfire? Very interesting, I'll investigate that as well.
It's a common occurrence with motorcycles, but popping can be caused by extremely rich mixtures too, so it is not really a dependable indicator of what the mixture is doing.

I did get a spec sheet from Tim with the cam. I forgot my phone at home today otherwise I would post a pic of it now. I'll post that later.
Advertised duration and LSA are enough, but actual opening/closing are even better.

Do you have any recommendations for a digital EFI/ignition controller? I'll start doing some research. An adjustable timing curve seems like a really useful feature.

Thanks again!
It really depends on how much you want to spend. MSD makes a programmable CDI that isn't real cheap. There are other options with varying levels of tradeoff between function, simplicity, and effort to install. Ecotrons makes a small engine EFI kit while a MicroSquirt ECU is race-level and fairly affordable as standalones go.

Thank you for the input.

The PBR can wall was less than 0.004. I'll definitely re-adjust the lash this evening.

I'll check the one screw on the side this evening and see if the slide moves around.

Thanks again!
make sure you recheck your valve lash too tight will make the engine very hard to start. I just set mine at .006 on both but I make sure I turn the engine over a few times and recheck. And I just run a after market msd automotive plug wire

Last edited: