Can anyone bail me out.....need a Kohler K181 or K181S

Allright all you engine hoarders.............anyone have a kolher K181 or K181S running or not running they would consider letting go? Im in a pickle. What I really need is a good block... standard bore is fine and does not have to be good. The engine I have now is at the machine shop and right now all work has been stopped due to a broken easyout in the headbolt hole right by the exhaust. They tried to get it out but could not. Now they are talking about having it "fine lazered", etc. It just sounds expensive to me. So the next option might be to find another motor/block I can work with. So fellas If you have one or more sitting around that is just to heavy for that mini project.......I really really could use it for my tractor.
The older the K series the better. Mine is from 1966. I do have a sweet 8HP briggs that I would trade for a nice running K series Kohler. Or cash.......PM me if you may be able to help. I was kinda bummed when they called and said they couldnt get it out......It sure looks like its been in there for a hell of a long time. Ran fine with it broken there but.....Im doing this one right and if they say it needs/should come out or the block should be replaced then so be it. anyone? Im in CT.........anyone got one close by?

I'll tell you what. If you can't find one and want to take a chance with your old one here is my offer. You pay shipping to me and back from me and I will attempt to get the ez out out as well as the bolt for no charge. All you have to loose is shipping to/from 46368.
Let me know-B. Kraft

I appreciate that offer. Might I ask how you would attempt to do that? They tried the nut/weld trick with zero success.

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Wonderful thing about cast iron, is it doesn't melt with a torch very easily. You just point the flame at the broken bolt and when it turns red, hit the oxygen and it will blow that broken bolt right out, and barley even touch the threads! Then just run a tap in and your good to go. I have done this with broken exhaust manifold bolts many times, with the head still on the engine.

Are they sure thats an ez out,might try drilling the center with a 1/8 drill all the way through and filling with Kroil and heat it real hot and try and get the Kroil to loosen the bottom of the threads.

hoppy

Are they sure thats an ez out,might try drilling the center with a 1/8 drill all the way through and filling with Kroil and heat it real hot and try and get the Kroil to loosen the bottom of the threads.
fred.....im pretty sure thats what it is. The concerning part is how its "fused" into the block. if you look at the pictures closely there is a little "crater" that goes around it. But that crater is like solid metal right up to the nub? I tried soaking "IT" and it doesnt even penetrate. It just puddles up. Oddly enough the engine ran good in my opinion. Heck used it for a year or more before I tore it down. Great little engine.

neck......when you say "hit the oxygen" what do you mean?
im betting he means get it hot and hit the oxy on the torch and cut the bolt/ ez out with the flame . cast iron dont cut with a torch for anything . nasty stuff gets hot starts to cut then pop and it stops dead . another thing you could do is heat the block up and kill the ezout . if you were to heat the whole cylinder up to like say 500 and then heat the bolt up a little more with a torch it would kill the temper in the ez out . well thats if its standard tool steel carbon . if its some o1 or hss no idea there , but standard carbon steel would be softer after heating like that and ya may be able to drill it .
would have to check the block after to see if anything shifted . but you should be ok if you let it cool down slowly .

I have a vintage 8HP Kohler but don't know the model that I would sell reasonably. It was a runner but I stashed in the shed years ago thinking I would find a kart to put it on and never did.

I have a vintage 8HP Kohler but don't know the model that I would sell reasonably. It was a runner but I stashed in the shed years ago thinking I would find a kart to put it on and never did.

getting warmer!!!!!!! Is there anyway you might be able to swee if its tagged and shoot me some numbers. Or even a few pictures. If you think you have one.....I think im interested!!:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
neck......when you say "hit the oxygen" what do you mean?
That long lever on top is the cutting oxygen control, once you heat up what your going to cut with the torch, you push that lever down and it blows through it with the oxygen.

drill it out with a carbide drill bit.a drill bit size that will only drill out the center of the bolt(not the threads)u must be on center with the drill bit.then only the threads are left in the hole,then you should be able to pick out the beginning of the thread of the bolt then you can run a tap in the existing threaded hole and the tap will cut out the old bolt as long as you get the tap to start on the original threads in the block. or you can drill it out altogether and put a helicoil in the block. (just my 2 cents) Ive done this many times on old iron.