chain problems

Today was the maiden run for the doodlebug I've been working on most the winner. Things were going quite well until the chain fell off the sprocket. The splits sprocket on the doodlebug leaves no room for the chain when it falls off, which really shredded up the chain . Of course I spent good money on a good chain and it didn't break but I wish it did break because it's pretty much toast . The linement looked good the tension seemed fair. In the picture I have the roller on but it wasn't on when things went south . not sure where things went wrong. It wasn't supposed to end like this . Now I'm sad

Attachments

Wow lucky your leg didn't get shredded. To me in the 1st pic the chain seems kinda loose. How much deflection do you have there?

I have seen people set up chain alignment with a long, thin piece of square stock. I have heard of people using laser levels and stuff like that, never done that myself.

Wow lucky your leg didn't get shredded. To me in the 1st pic the chain seems kinda loose. How much deflection do you have there?

I have seen people set up chain alignment with a long, thin piece of square stock. I have heard of people using laser levels and stuff like that, never done that myself.
The picture is after the incident, so the chain is very loose. Yeah I would say I'm lucky. Next time I think I would start off with a cheap chain . Maybe I rushed it and they're the problem lies. Not doing much of anything until OldMiniBikes delivery arrives.

Tink

[ In the picture I have the roller on but it wasn't on when things went south .]
What roller? The tension-er?
IF the roller was not there to avoid chain play/slap leaving the clutch , it may well have factored.

Correct pitch and number of rollers as original chain ,or to compliment a change of teeth numbers?

Last edited:
[ In the picture I have the roller on but it wasn't on when things went south .]
What roller? The tension-er?
IF the roller was not there to avoid chain play/slap leaving the clutch , it may well have factored.

Correct pitch and number of rollers as original chain ,or to compliment a change of teeth numbers?
Yes the tension-er was not installed. I haven't used one before and this my first DB 30. So sold I use it ?

I'd definitely keep the roller/tensioner. Without seeing a pic of the chain from the rear view, it's hard to pin point. Does the sprocket have any runout? You do know those halves are meant to be installed a specific way.? The marks should touch when installed correctly.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

You do know those halves are meant to be installed a specific way.? The marks should touch when installed correctly.
QFT
I noticed some of the newer sprockets have different markings now but they are meant to be installed one way like was said. I would put a straightedge on the rear sprocket and make sure you're lined up correctly, then look at chain tension and make sure you're ok there.
The chain should run fine them, if not then there is a different problem like sprocket runout or 1 half installed backwards, etc.
just in my experience ymmv

OP, are you using the set screws in that clutch or just the retaining bolt? If you are using set screws take them out. If you find you have slight sprocket runout that 3/32" of clutch float on the shaft can really help absorb it.

That's the factory seam. Looks like he gusseted the engine plate to the lower rail. Good idea!