Clear that tech's throat,

ok, someone used the expression, "itll run better if you clear its throat and uncork its ass"

and i like that, and thats what i want to do, so i have a straight pipe on my HS40, but i have the stock paper filter in the metal housing,

are there any kits that mount up to the front of the carb that have a 45* elbow with the filter on the end of it to fit nice in a rupp hustler, it has to be at a 45 because i want to angle it diagonally down to go on the right side of the frame post,

and i want it to look as proportional as possible, so no weeny filter hanging there, and no huge filter there, a nice sized filter that will give me optimum performance, i just dont like the idea of a stright pipe with that clogged resistant flowing filter,

thanks,

Last edited:
a good example of the filter i mean, is when you go to, oldminibikes.com the NR racing banner, that filter on that motor, i just need the elbow tube and bracket from the carb to fit,

i beleive its called a "stack"

That was probably me. :doah: Ohhh hell probably. There is a round adapter that is the size of the hole in your carb, that bolts on, and a filter cartridge clamps on about like a dirt bike filter or something. You could get one of those.. Older lawn mowers used them. Then you could clamp a piece of copper tubing elbow onto that and go from there.

i see, thats what i did on my pocket bike, but could you direct me to this stack peice that goes on the front of the carb to the elbow,

i think im gonna stick with the rubber-plastic elbow so i can clamp it better that copper,, :smile:

its hard to find a briggs where i live, and yes.... old smokey :thefinger:

i figure if i run it factory spec, goverend and all i can at leats ride it for a bit, and i think a stright pipe with the stock muffled filter is a joke, its like trying to breath with a cotton ball in one nostrill ehile the other is closed, very very difficult...... and she wont be old smokey once my parts get here in the mail :thumbsup:

someone said if i shook tha carb i should hear a ball, whell, i shook it and i heard nothing, left it for a laquer thinner dip, and i hear the ball when i shake it clear as day, once the rings, re-build kit, and gaskets get here, we-are-go :sorcerer:

i cant find a 5hp briggs in my area, its very difficult seeing as no-one keeps and old motors or junk, everything is clean, i may have to make a trip to the junkyard place and see if they have an old briggs, but looking for one residential is out of the question

Where are you at? I got like 10 of them. I just junked one that RIPPED my Boonie down the road. About to junk another that I have been 60 miles per hour on and put probably 1,500 miles on. Old Smokey.. :lol: that one is BLEW out though.

i am at Niagara Falls, ON, Canada, not many old motors here,

how much would shipping be for an old briggs motor? like from you to me? if you were to sell one that is....

Hm.... Boyyy you should be able to find them.. There has to be junkyards, and rototillers in peoples back yards not running needs carb cleaned, Uhhh Canada they are bastards anymore. I just mailed a 9 pound box to Canada in one of our $10.70 anywhere in the USA boxes for 26.00 something anywhere in Canada. A regular brown ole box probably would be about as much. 20 pound box would be even worse... I could figure it out though.. Uhhh I would say like depending on what ya want... I'd sell ya a good one for 50 bucks.. But GOD shipping would be as bad probably... Let me think about it a bit. Do ya ever search craigslist? rototiller, snow blower, briggs & stratton, motor.... stuff like that?

richs

its hard to find a briggs where i live, and yes.... old smokey :thefinger:

i figure if i run it factory spec, goverend and all i can at leats ride it for a bit, and i think a stright pipe with the stock muffled filter is a joke, its like trying to breath with a cotton ball in one nostrill ehile the other is closed, very very difficult...... and she wont be old smokey once my parts get here in the mail :thumbsup:

someone said if i shook tha carb i should hear a ball, whell, i shook it and i heard nothing, left it for a laquer thinner dip, and i hear the ball when i shake it clear as day, once the rings, re-build kit, and gaskets get here, we-are-go :sorcerer:

i cant find a 5hp briggs in my area, its very difficult seeing as no-one keeps and old motors or junk, everything is clean, i may have to make a trip to the junkyard place and see if they have an old briggs, but looking for one residential is out of the question
that was me Im glad that advice helped some one If that check valve doesnt rattle you cant rebuild the carb it sounds like the motor is comming along

i will check kijiji and stuff, i will be on the hunt, but if not, once the parts get in fir the tech, then itll be running untill i find a briggs,
i used to know a guy that had tons of tillers and snowblowers, he had piles of motors, parts, anything you could think of, but i was only a kid then, once he died, his kids threw evrything out, all his years of collecting vintage parts and motors gone, :doah:

but, i will look,

Yup, thats what happens to them.. Probably just endless amounts of really cool hard to find stuff too.. I flipped around craigslist and didn't see much. A Tecumseh 3 horse 2 stroke powered snowblower for 50 bucks that ran good and would have a diphragm carb but it would only be 5/8 inch bore crank.

Ya keep an eye open on Kijijji..Lots of old snow blowers and such with 5hp briggs motors that still run even if the blower doesn't work anymore.