Clinton Panther

I don't know what it was used for but I find it very cool. If nothing else, it would be a great display piece bolted down on a nice, thick walnut base (or whatever wood you prefer). It's so cool that I would be very reluctant to separate the prop from the engine. It appears to be configured as a pusher, you could mount it on the rear of a go kart just for s&g.

I have no experience with anything having a propeller. I do, however, still have a pretty good brain, praise God, so here are my thoughts. The prop appears to not have a lot of pitch. That makes sense because the little engine probably couldn't effectively spin a prop with much pitch. These things considered, I wouldn't expect this combination to produce a lot of thrust (though enough rpm might prove me wrong). Therefore, whatever it powered/propelled must have had very little weight and very little drag, and that's if it did indeed propel anything. I think a boat, regardless of weight, would have too much drag and I doubt this could get one up on top of the water to drastically reduce drag. My guess is that, if it propelled anything, it would have been a tiny experimental ultralight aircraft.

Perhaps it had a stationary use, such as winnowing (blowing chaff away from grain).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnowing

I find this very intriguing, too much so, too much thinking... :rolleyes: If you learn what it was used for, let us know.

Last edited:
That number on the prop says 30-12.
A semi educated guess would be 30 inch long, or 30 inch diameter, since they spin in a circle, 12 inch pitch, or it theoretically would move 12 inches per revolution. I agree with the above post about it not having enough power to plane a boat, but a hovercraft doesn't have ANY contact with the ground.
A streamlined bicycle might be scary fast.
Now that we have analyzed the thing, where did you find it? Like, airfield, everglades, body shop?