Clinton Panthers

Pardon me for lurking...

The 250 can be 80cc or 87cc. I think some of the late Super 250's were 87cc.
They are great chainsaws. I have one that I pull out for serious tree cutting. They are heavy and I have to rest every few minutes!
The block is very much like an early kart engine, except it has a fixed head. That makes it difficult to service, especially if it needs to be bored. That said, I have converted a few and they run nicely.
Here is a great site for saw information:
Model Profile: SUPER 250

Pardon me for lurking...

The 250 can be 80cc or 87cc. I think some of the late Super 250's were 87cc.
They are great chainsaws. I have one that I pull out for serious tree cutting. They are heavy and I have to rest every few minutes!
The block is very much like an early kart engine, except it has a fixed head. That makes it difficult to service, especially if it needs to be bored. That said, I have converted a few and they run nicely.
Here is a great site for saw information:
Model Profile: SUPER 250
Thanks for that. I bought it at a swap meet for $10 and in the shed it went. Haven't looked at it since. I believe it is the Super 250 and it looks older that the '70-'75 era. I'm surprised at the date on the link actually. Mine seems more rounded than the one in the pic. I was thinking mid to late 60's.

So what do I need to do to convert this one to a kart motor? I think I've read that I have to make sure it's got a stepped PTO. Other than that what would it need besides a mount? I will take some pics tonight and I will start a new thread.

Ideally, it would have a tapered crank, because Mac kart clutches (typically Max-torque) like that.
I think Max-Torque will make a custom clutch if the crank is stepped or a few people make shaft adapters so that you can use a cheap clutch.
You will need a kart type manifold, because the chainsaw manifold is part of the chainsaw 'housing'.
And you need a mount. Several styles are out there. I thry to give my business to this guy:
ClassicKartShop – Your one-stop-shop for original and remanufactured parts
he sells mufflers too.
Yell if you need info. I rebuild Clintons and Macs all the time.

terry

I will take some pics tonight and I will start a new thread.
That would be great! :thumbsup: The 'net has quite a few references to conversions, but no step-by-step with instructions and photos. Hey, maybe do a conversion and set it up on one of your older Stellar frames and enter it in the build off competition. :thumbsup:

That would be great! :thumbsup: The 'net has quite a few references to conversions, but no step-by-step with instructions and photos. Hey, maybe do a conversion and set it up on one of your older Stellar frames and enter it in the build off competition. :thumbsup:
Yeah it could be useful. Like yourself I've read about converting them but I've never seen a step by step with pictures. I shall do that!

For now here it is. I crept into my shed in the middle of the night. Sorry about the darkness of them. It's not a super 250 after all

Ideally, it would have a tapered crank, because Mac kart clutches (typically Max-torque) like that.
I think Max-Torque will make a custom clutch if the crank is stepped or a few people make shaft adapters so that you can use a cheap clutch.
You will need a kart type manifold, because the chainsaw manifold is part of the chainsaw 'housing'.
And you need a mount. Several styles are out there. I thry to give my business to this guy:
ClassicKartShop – Your one-stop-shop for original and remanufactured parts
he sells mufflers too.
Yell if you need info. I rebuild Clintons and Macs all the time.

terry
Hey Terry been sending you PM's. Did the recoil get to you ok? And I still need your payment info so I can buy those decals and the mount from ya.