Clutches

I think you have that backwards quix ;)

A larger clutch sprocket with the same axle sprocket will increase your maximum speed and decrease the overall ratio meaning you will feel like you have less torque multiplication.

The higher your ratio (axle sprocket / engine sprocket) the lower your top speed will be and the faster you will take off.

The lower your ratio (axle sprocket / engine sprocket) the higher your top speed will be and the slower you will take off.

Just like riding a mountain bike!

Last edited:
if you go with more teeth on your clutch you will take of faster but not sure about just one tooth say you stick with your 12 teeth and change ur sprocket to 5 teeth lower you will take of faster but not go as fast

Ah yes, indeed I do. A more teeth on the clutch means a smaller ratio and therefore less power and more speed. Thanks for cleaning up my mess =)
I just want to clear something up: gear ratio has no effect on power. No matter what the gear ratio is, power stays the same. Torque and rpm, however, will change.

Power = torque * rpm / constant

So, for a given engine, power will always stay the same if you change the gear ratio. But this power can be modulated to produce more torque (by lowering rpm), or more speed (by lowering torque).

Torque = Power * constant / rpm

rpm = Power * constant / torque

So, as you can see, rpm and torque are inversely proportional to each other.

If you have more teeth on your clutch, the engine will make fewer revolutions to make the wheel spin 1 turn. This will result in more speed (rpm), but less acceleration (torque).

However, there is a limit to the speed you can reach. If you increase your gear ratio (lower numerically), there may not be enough torque left to reach that speed. So, past a certain point, a higher gear ratio can actually make you go slower.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Backyard Builder knows his shit.

I tell guys this stuff every weekend and they look at me like I'm the one retarded.

KID'S STAY IN SCHOOL!