comet 30

It can be set up to TURN in either direction by rewinding it on the reverse cam. As for the spring, I'm honestly stumped if you can use the same spring and wind it the other direction or if you need to buy a reverse-wound spring. You might want to contact Comet on that one.

The correct cam is the one that would downshift (close the driven sheaves) the driven when the fixed sheave (inboard sheave) is held stationary and the movable sheave (outboard sheave) is turned in the direction of engine rotation.

The driver unit can turn either direction without any changes.

If you're looking to put the pulley on the jackshaft backward (cam facing toward the engine), you cannot do this. The asymmetrical belt would be confused because the flat sheave of the driver would be inboard and the driven outboard.

colt 1911

great info- i will play with it tomorrow to get a game plan- i think you are right about the spring needing to be reverse- the belt issue could be resolved by running a symmetrical and watch how it wears- i will update after i speak with comet- thanks

-the belt issue could be resolved by running a symmetrical and watch how it wears-
Wait wait wait :doah: hold on...it sounds like you are trying to put the driven on backward. I originally thought you meant you wanted to have a 30 series on a CW rotating engine. Now something like that would work (besides the whole spring issue).

So you need the driven pulley to have the cam inboard. Well, the belt issue cannot be solved by a symmetrical because...uhhhhh I feel another rant coming on:

Think of the inboard belt face. It will run over the 2.5* sheave of the driver, then the 18* sheave of the driven, and so on. I don't even want to think about belt wear. A symmetrical belt has a 15* inboard face (and a 15* outboard). This belt will only contact on the outside part of the inboard face on the driver and the inside part of the inboard face on the driven. There's a reason why belts fit perfectly in their pulleys...to maximize contact with the pulleys. In your setup, you will never be able to transmit meaningful torque because the sheaves will be contacting such a small area of the belt faces.

My question is first of all, why do you want the driven backwards? If you really need the driven movable sheave inboard, why not get a real symmetrical CVT? 20 series?

Last edited:
i was told you cannot reverse the 30 but you can reverse the 20 with correct spring change
You "can" reverse a 20 to have the cam face outboard, but the belt will flex left or right as the CVT shifts. This will put an odd wear on the belt and the sheaves. The 20 is made to have an inboard cam.