Comet 40 driven pre load question

chrisr

Does anyone have a guide that explains the proper pre loading of a Comet 40 driven? I guess its common knowledge, but I did not realize that depending on if you installed the 40 driven as an outboard or inboard mattered. Looks like most 40 driven come with the red spring and designed for inboard and the yellow spring for reverse application as an outboard. I just ordered the 204524 yellow spring for my reverse outboard application.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you, but unless I am missing it, the pdf does not specify pre load - 1/3 turn, 1/2 turn, clockwise or counter clockwise, etc...I have read on some posts on different forums that the yellow reverse spring should be pre-loaded a 1/3 of a turn clockwise or the red spring counter clockwise, I just can't find any Comet documentation that confirms this.
Sorry. All driven springs are to be preloaded in a tightening direction, thus the different directional winding. Exception is some golf carts that reversed the engine direction so the springs are flat on both ends, no preload. They shift at idle though so not relevant. They're less a science than art, and experimentation is always needed to get ideal running. The Comet is a very simplified version of what the sleds run. No different helix angles, etc. Upshift and backshift are controlled by the driven rate and preload.

post-69990-0-96683600-1298623494.jpg

chrisr

As an update, installed the yellow spring on my outboard 40 driven and now all works great. Instant take off and good top end speed. Pretty happy, thanks for the help!