Continental UA8 governor questions

First of all, what spark plug do these things take? I'm guessing the standard small engine?? :shrug: And probably someone drilled the hole bigger and added the GIANT 7/8 inch tractor plug later on in life?? :facepalm:

Whatever, it works.. :shrug: IF ya make sure to turn the plug just so, so the valve doesn't mash the end of the plug over.. :facepalm:

On the governor, I am running what was on it.. It looked messed with to me, but after looking it over better, I'm pretty sure the sharp bend belongs in the linkage rod, letting it sweep down in between the shroud and distributor cap-governor arm,-cap, Bakelite ridiculous whatever the hell ya call that part.. :glare:

The rod was a little twisted up, but pretty sure this is how it goes... Looks as if it had a spring on it like the briggs ones do, but that went bad pretty fast and I said ":censure: you ya damned spring :glare:"

SO then, from there, must be the L shaped throttle piece on the back of the shroud, with a couple holes,

runs to the the corresponding couple holes on the main governor arm... THIS hole must be the governor spring?? :shrug: IT IS NOW!! :laugh:

So I added a tecumseh governor spring, cut it down some.. fought it for 6 horse getting it in there.. :glare:

Then obviously that L shaped bracket rests against this other tab on the shroud?? :shrug: you can push the thing in to speed the motor up, pulled out is slow down?? :shrug:

The L shaped linkage was flipped around beyond the main throttle piece, but after looking it over, the little tab has two factory made purposely made scrapes, to keep the L linkage from slipping off easily, which still isn't totally enough really, as sloppy as the L linkage wiggles..... :shrug: BUT I'm pretty damned sure this is how it all works?? I know it WORKS so thats the hardest part...

So.. why is it....

Whats the little rounded clicker stopper thing do??? The one marked with a green arrow.. Is there a spring missing or clicker missing, that lets you click the throttle lever to where you want it, then the clicker keeps it clicked, like the older stuff used to??? :shrug:

where'd that go??? :shrug:

What should it have for a return spring? :shrug: There's GOTTA BE some kind of return spring, to keep pressure against the little slider tab, and the L shaped bracket.... :mellow:

Last edited:
Check with this guy he might be able to help I saw his Continental questions not long ago. He might be able to tell you from is motor.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/engines-modifications/81204-no-spark-continental-engine.html

If you saw the pdf trom the sight I mentioned you can look at other Continental engine pdf's that show better picture of the motors and see strong simularites look wise as far as the other engines are. They might be a little fifferent by bore and hp ratings but the picture of the parts manual look the same for the mag and gov setup. :shrug:

Somebody will chime in someday and lay it on ya... :thumbsup: