Crankshaft drill and tap

vegetable

hey all, just a quick question, am I able to drill out a hole and tap it to accept a bolt in my crankshaft? the shaft doesnt have a hole for one and I want to use a cvt drive with this engine. attached is the shaft, i do have a drill press if that makes things easier to start the drill

Attachments

Triley41395

hey all, just a quick question, am I able to drill out a hole and tap it to accept a bolt in my crankshaft? the shaft doesnt have a hole for one and I want to use a cvt drive with this engine. attached is the shaft, i do have a drill press if that makes things easier to start the drill
Yes, one of the members here sells drill guides just for that.

Yes, you can do that. I mounted a crank through the hole in my drill press table, made sure it was square to the table and drilled it just fine.
You already have a hole in the center to get you started. Be careful not to break a bit in there.

You could drill a one inch (or 15/16) hole in a 2x4, clamp it to your table, push the crank into the hole, swing the table to the side so your crank is centered under your bit...

I can make drill tap guides for just about any small engine. My bigger lathe is a 10x24 and the sky is pretty much the limit.
I would need some specifics and output shaft Outside Diameter, in several places with a micrometer.

I can make drill tap guides for just about any small engine. My bigger lathe is a 10x24 and the sky is pretty much the limit.
I would need some specifics and output shaft Outside Diameter, in several places with a micrometer.
Output is 1" OD. Make it a slip fit and it will be plenty close enough for that job. The crank is already factory center drilled. What he needs to do is determine what size bolt he wants to use. Most of them use 5/16-24.