CT200u trouble.

JRW

Ok, I need some help. I bought a Coleman CT200u used. Had been sitting for years. Cleaned out the fuel tank, put a new carb on it and got the stock centrifugal clutch unfrozen and it ran fine. Pretty slow and the clutch slipped going up hills so I put on a TAV.

After the TAV install it was just as slow and would barely make it up those same hills.

So I figured “more power”. So I bought basically and eBay stage 1 kit. Carb with larger jet air cleaner header pipe etc. installed it all last night. The engine starts on first or second pull every time just like it did and idles and runs fine. But now the bike can’t even get out of its own way and I have to walk next to it up the same hills!

literally every time I “upgrade” it’s gets slower and worse. What am I doing wrong here?!?

Thanks
Jordan

DaddyJohn

It would be interesting to see how many rpms the engine is reaching when you’re “giving it the beans”, so to speak. Is the carburetor butterfly opening fully?

JRW

It would be interesting to see how many rpms the engine is reaching when you’re “giving it the beans”, so to speak. Is the carburetor butterfly opening fully?
Yes it looks like it. Took the air filter off and watched inside. Not sure about rpm.

DaddyJohn

Since it’s pretty easy to start, low compression wouldn’t seem to be a culprit. Maybe check the coil gap, and that the flywheel key is intact (such that timing hasn’t shifted slightly). Maybe check your spark plug, just in case.

I should ask, does the bike miss out or anything when you’ve got the throttle opened all the way?

JRW

Since it’s pretty easy to start, low compression wouldn’t seem to be a culprit. Maybe check the coil gap, and that the flywheel key is intact (such that timing hasn’t shifted slightly). Maybe check your spark plug, just in case.

I should ask, does the bike miss out or anything when you’ve got the throttle opened all the way?
I don’t think so. It sounds healthy.

Ok, I need some help. I bought a Coleman CT200u used. Had been sitting for years. Cleaned out the fuel tank, put a new carb on it and got the stock centrifugal clutch unfrozen and it ran fine. Pretty slow and the clutch slipped going up hills so I put on a TAV.

After the TAV install it was just as slow and would barely make it up those same hills.

So I figured “more power”. So I bought basically and eBay stage 1 kit. Carb with larger jet air cleaner header pipe etc. installed it all last night. The engine starts on first or second pull every time just like it did and idles and runs fine. But now the bike can’t even get out of its own way and I have to walk next to it up the same hills!

literally every time I “upgrade” it’s gets slower and worse. What am I doing wrong here?!?

Thanks
Jordan
Post some pics of the throttle cable, hold down clamp, and throttle stop screw.

It might jus need a simple adjustment.

Attachments