Cub+h35

DaveL12

Thanks ond! Didn't plan the color combo just how I found the engine guess it was meant to be. Weird how much the engine hangs off the right side of the frame considering this was the engine the bike was designed to run. It will even out once the clutch and guard are on the other side I'm sure. Still on the hunt for this air cleaner
and the throttle/governor linkage or whatever the bracket is called that once lived here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveL12

Found pieces I needed but now I'm not sure how to assemble connect together to make the governor operational a diagram would be great! Thanks

CarPlayLB

I have a similar air filter with the louvers going in ...instead of out. PM me if you want some pics. PM me your email if you want pics

...and what OND said...nice looking bike!

Found pieces I needed but now I'm not sure how to assemble connect together to make the governor operational a diagram would be great! Thanks

There is a "sticky" thread on how to do this in the Tecumseh engines section. That's what I used to hook up the same linkage on my HS40.

DaveL12

Thanks for the compliments OND and CarPlay!! Coming from two members who build amazing bikes themselves I'm glad you guys like mine!! Cruhr1 thank you for the point in the right direction

markus

heres how Rupp did/suggested how. this is from the 1968 cub k1/k2 instructions (the kit version bikes) For whatever reason they packaged and sold the throttle arm and return spring themselves for some of the bikes, not sure if that was because Tecumseh was not specifically offering Recreational engines at that point or if Rupp felt they had a better return spring setup :shrug:

(It is a full size scan, you will have to go through photobucket to view it that way though.)

The arm has to point up and youw will need a linkage to the carb, this photo from a bike did years ago kinda shows that pretty decent:

And you do need to refer to the tec manual to know how to adjust correctly for the governor to work correctly
If you dont use the Rupp version of the return spring setup you will also need to get the proper Tecumseh torsion spring for the throttle arm.

Last edited:

DaveL12

Markus thanks for all of the info I'm confused about the second spring on the rupp instructions, the picture of the black engine doesn't have that spring? Kinda confused where the second spring would even attach?

markus

Markus thanks for all of the info I'm confused about the second spring on the rupp instructions, the picture of the black engine doesn't have that spring? Kinda confused where the second spring would even attach?

Black engine was not a rupp, it used the torsion spring on the throttle arm part number 32923 they warped around that bellcrank/throttle arm

That spring that rupp used hooked into the hole midway up the edge of the engines sidecover, that is the alignment pin for the sidecover and the hook on the spring just goes in the open hole (pretty visible on the black engine pic just above that half painted strap sticking out.

Interesting information here.

If I may ask a related question- On some of my H35 engines, there is a metal plate 7/8" wide, 1.5" long screwed to the bottom of that throttle piece with a notch cut to prevent rotation. To that is a coil spring that serves as the throttle return spring. Was that used on mini bikes, and what genre or years would it have been used? I like the simplicity and smooth operation it provides on the throttle feel.

markus

Interesting information here.

If I may ask a related question- On some of my H35 engines, there is a metal plate 7/8" wide, 1.5" long screwed to the bottom of that throttle piece with a notch cut to prevent rotation. To that is a coil spring that serves as the throttle return spring. Was that used on mini bikes, and what genre or years would it have been used? I like the simplicity and smooth operation it provides on the throttle feel.
The later versions had that which were starting to be used in 1974. They do work ALOT better than the earlier torsion spring versions. I guess the kits are supposed to come with the spring and plate, I have only ever ordered one in my life and it didn't but I think I may have just got jipped :laugh:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/images/product/TEC730136A_MEDfile_800_store.jpg

The later versions had that which were starting to be used in 1974. They do work ALOT better than the earlier torsion spring versions. I guess the kits are supposed to come with the spring and plate, I have only ever ordered one in my life and it didn't but I think I may have just got jipped :laugh:
Thanks Markus. That makes sense, because the Cat Wildcat with the original (supposedly) H35 is '74 as is the motor, and it's just like that. I'm setting up and earlier H30 (Sears) as a fake Lauson for a kart, and am doing a throttle like that.

DaveL12

Thanks for all of that Markus!! Since it is a rupp I feel as though I ought to hook it up how rupp intended it to be hooked up. That being said I just put in an order at black widow for everything I need to get the bike going :)
I found the gas tank decal for the h35 there as well!! I was very happy about that

DaveL12

Also can I not use a Hilliard extreme duty clutch on this engine because the shaft isn't tapped?

This is my H40 setup. I hope you can see the pics well enough. I use these for reference when I take the linkage off.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk