Cutting angles on round tubing

I wanted to share this technique that I use to get a good fit on extreme angles. These may not readily cross over to the minibike world but it is a helpful way to get what you need without waste.

Look at the pics and you can see that this is a rear down brace that I an setting up for a cut. I coped the tubing on the upper end and left the lower square. I lay the tubing on top of the roll bar and line up the cope with the rear edge of the bar. With a little help I measure the height of the square end of the tubing. We are using 1 1/4'' tubing and the measurement was 1'' at the needed angle. I then cut a piece of sheet metal on the shear that is 1'' buy 5 or 6''. After everything is lined up and the sheet metal piece is aligned on the top of the frame rail and snug up to the tubing I tack it in 2 places so that it doesn't move. Now I have a guide that I can follow on the band saw for a one time cut. When you cut this piece off with the piece of sheet metal attached you now have the correct angle to fit flush to the frame. Where you had it on the top of the roll bar and the square end just sitting on top of the frame you now fit the coped end to the roll bar and the cut you just made will sit flat on the frame rail.

Follow along to see just how simple this is,

The final fit,

The setup,

The cut,

There you have it, quick and simple.

Hope this helps someone along the way.

Doug

Last edited:
Pretty slick Doug, will have to remember that one.
I have been doing this for years and it makes a great joint but it is hard to do by yourself. You just need one more hand... If you have help for the tack welding then it is a snap. Then it is up to the operator to make a good cut.

Doug

Last edited: