Cylinder/Round Gas tanks...

round two... decided to make things as i go along, so that others, potentially may benefit from me wanting to practice, as often as I am able...

started with designing and programming a custom properly vented cap and bung... then a few different end caps to get going and to test the cnc (and the communication between my programming and my friends cnc machining)...

for the first sets of tanks... i matched the profile of the end cap to the caps, to scale

then did a few more to test depths of cut, etc... and to make a few different styles.. the nest round, if i keep making them, will be totally different profile, but ill probably stick with my filler caps... i designed these where i would be smoothing the welds out to make them look one piece... but i dont like that kind anymore... lol... so ill switch to bolt on and recess the actually end caps in so that those welds can be left untouched but will allow for a nice straight seam, with less work and less potential for cracking... though i am comfy welding at this point

anyhow, few more designs

was trying to work on one for my friend Temecula Bob, i dont really like it, but i just came up with something quick.. he loves it... ill change it up and make a better one for him at some point...

and this is sort of a rendering in the program..

i designed the caps, with the intention on welding them fairly close to the cylinders... as i wanted the tanks to be a "smooth" as possible... but i made the first one, with the cap a little higher...

can be mounted something like this on a bike

bottom has 1/4" npt bung.... ends are just roughed in... tank we be a nice polish finish (or i may try to hand brush it)

Last edited:
made one with hemi end caps, while i was sitting there looking at the dome end caps i picked up (prior to designing my own), from a supply business, to try...