Difference between clone and predator

Butts

My son and I are finally delving into our project mini bikes. I have a 7hp briggs for my 68 Rupp Roadster and a 3.5hp for my boys Scat Cat. Been looking into other options for engines. I'm in Canada so I guess Princess Auto is the equivalent of America's Harbour Freight. There is a 6.5hp and a 7hp I'm interested in. Do the parts interchange? Is there a big difference between the two? Is there more performance parts more readily available for one engine over the other? Just want to get this right the first time before spending some hard earned dollars. Which engine is preferred by most? Thanks in advance for the help.

SAS289

Not sure what others will say but I would get the 208cc which looks like it's on sale. It has the 70mm bore as opposed to the 68mm bore of the 196cc. Not sure what other differences there would be besides piston size. Hopefully others will know more.

Just like the Predator you would be at a better starting point with a bigger engine than the standard 196 clone.

Butts

Ok. I've been searching this site among other sites and still can't definitively decide which is best for a more performance oriented application. Looking for as much reliability as possible as well but I understand that it's a balance between fast and bulletproof. From what I've read on here, the briggs flat heads require a fair amount of wrenching compared to the honda/clone/predator. I've built a few small block chevys over the years. The aptitude towards the inner workings isn't an issue. Would rather make a decision based on what the best foundation is to build a reliable, budget oriented, torquey motor that can adapt to ongoing upgrades.

trinik7597

What motors do we have to choose from here ? Quality wise a clone and predator are going to be in the same ball park . All the same upgrade parts are available for both . Both will hold up if you build them well

SAS289

What motors do we have to choose from here ? Quality wise a clone and predator are going to be in the same ball park . All the same upgrade parts are available for both . Both will hold up if you build them well
I think he is looking at Power Fist engines at Princess Auto. He needs to decide on getting the 196cc or the 208cc.

IMO right out of the box, you can't beat the predator Hemi. When you really get to doing a lot of work to the engine and the head, conventional heads have a bigger aftermarket than the Hemi does right now... That could change but it's going to take some time. Plus when you get to high spring pressures people have had the rocker mounts break smooth off.

Out of the box the Briggs animal engine would be the best but for price I'd suggest going predator Hemi head.

What moto said...

The Briggs Animal would be the best. But for Price get a Predator Hemi.
There is an amazing amount of go fast parts for the hemi. My suggestion is start with an ARC billet rod and ARC billet flywheel.
From there the sky is the limit. Just like a car engine, cam, head, porting, big valves, valve springs, roller rockers, stroker kits etc.

A basic quick build on a Predator (called a stage 2) kit makes about 12hp. For $87 it is cheap hp plus comes with a bored out carb.

A Stage 3 makes about 13 to 15 hp but costs $210.
Click here.
212 Predator

JMO Danford1

Last edited:

Butts

SAS289 you're correct. It's either 196cc or 208cc. As far as I know The 212cc predator isn't available in Canada. Would predator parts fit on a 208cc. danfrord1, I wish parts were that cheap here. If I were to order them I'd get screwed at the border. If anyone knows where to get a predator motor in Canada that would be great!

"power fister" is what Ave calls them.....
First of all...AvE is awesome!!! Skookum as Frig!!!

As for the engines, IMO don't worry about 196cc vs 208cc vs 212cc. For that extra few cc's, it doesn't make alot of difference in seat-of-the-pants HP. What does make a difference is the other quirks about each engine. For example, the Hemi Predator has shaft-mounted rockers, but the head can't take very high lift cams without work. The Champions have shaft-mounted rockers and can take big cams, but they're not Hemi's, so on, so forth.

Or you could do like my buddy who lives in Canada does. He will either cross the border to pick up stuff, or depending on what it is, has items shipped to a friend who lives on the US side and then just goes there and picks the stuff up.

If those are the choices I would say go 208cc clone .. predator bore 70mm Honda stroke . Takes all Honda parts accept piston .. crank , rod , cam etc.. even though in the pics I found it appears to be a predator style valve cover .. in which case if it is labeled 3800 rpm vs. 3600 It should have split.locks and keepers as well as 27/25 valves stock

Butts

Ok. Thanks for the help everyone. TSC has 196cc clone on sale currently. Think I'll pick that up due to the amount of available parts. Updates will be posted shortly.

At Canadian tire... They sell the Rato brand 212 clone, which is the unbranded parent of the Predator line engines sold at HF.
As I understand it is a non-hemi pred motor, so the appropriate parts will fit.

Butts, I have the 208cc from PA... so far great motor.

I think the only difference between the 196 and 208 is the bore and the valves (haven't verified yet) so pretty much all clone parts fit. I read on the PA reviews for the motor someone said that this engine uses a non standard wrist-pin. So when i decide to upgrade the rod, I'll have to get another piston + pin. Other than that all parts should be plug and play.

I already got an intake, E-tube, and jets from OldMiniBikes... all fits

If you install an intake you won't need a longer carb stud like the predators. They're already long enough on the 208.