e85 advanced timing

gx160:
billet rod
.265 dyno cam
header
air filter
ported head
.41 jet

I switched to e85 because it was cheaper around here and I heard I can advance the timing. I was wondering by how much?

thanks
SJ

You can guess at it through trail and error,but you also have the carb jetting to do at the same time.
It's easier in a car that has a computer to do all that for you.

CarPlayLB

You need to be careful with the e85 fuel...you will need stainless or teflon fuel lines as the e85 wants to eat anything rubber...like the needle and seat in your carb! The newer cars that are able to use e85 fuel have specially designed components to accommodate this fuel. I would do a little more research on the effects of the e85 and then make your decision. I would hate to see you mess up your motor based on the fuel...just my .02

I've been running e85 for 6 months now with no problems. It starts on the first pull and runs great. Alot better than it did on gas. The jet has been upgraded. I upgraded the lines even when I ran gas because the stock lines are junk.

I've been running e85 for 6 months now with no problems. It starts on the first pull and runs great.
well there you go,swap keys and try it.

or since you did not list a billet flywheel get one that is adjustable,you can get more timing out of them. fin less is better for alky and if you need more cooling you can put your plastic blades back on it.

well there you go,swap keys and try it.

or since you did not list a billet flywheel get one that is adjustable,you can get more timing out of them. fin less is better for alky and if you need more cooling you can put your plastic blades back on it.
so i can just take the fins completely off?

so i can just take the fins completely off?
Only if you are going to be riding it fast,if its going to be rode slower or doing a lot of idling you can cut the fins down. I cut all the way down on mine until there is about a 1/2" left. Some just tape off 2 of the 3 vents on the starter housing but I don't like duct tape on my engines:smile:

So how did you make out with timing and jetting for the E-85?? I've got a blue clone, 14cc head, billet rod, billet flywheel, 18lb springs and a couple timing keys and I want to run the E-85

I'm using the .41 main jet for E85. I have a gx160 with a gx200 carb, i don't know if it makes a difference, and it runs smooth. starts right up and idles great. I'm currently waiting for the PVL flywheel to be in-stock and then I'll mess with advancing the timing. If i remember correctly it took me awhile to get all the quirks worked out on it and I can't really remember what they were :shrug:haha: I recommend getting a fuel filter from your local autoparts store cause the E85 will clean out the gas tank and if there is any residue it will get in your carburetor. If you mess with the timing let us know :thumbsup:

Just ordered two timing keys, .070 & .080 from Dover. I purchased two in case the .080 is too much. I'm sure it will be fine with the .080. I'll upload a video when I get them installed

65ShelbyClone

What I mean is that you're using 100+ octane in an engine with 8:1 compression. The old method of Increasing advance until just before it pings will probably put timing well past the advance number that makes the most power.

What is the going rate for 87 gas vs. E85 in your area?

E85 is around the same price as 87 maybe less. 2 gallons will last me about a month, racing on the weekends. I plan on getting a flat top piston which should make it around 12:1.

Installed the .008 key today. First impressions is it idles higher or atleast seems like it and it has more torque. Which is what I wanted. Hoping the flat top will add more.