eastwood zinc plating?? anyone tried it

Hey guys...I've often thought about replating old chrome parts at home..and came across the eastwood zinc plating kits on ebay....it looks like it does a really nice job on the parts, and they have lots of positive comments.

Wondering if anyone here has tried it on rims, fenders, exhausts with good results??

Dan

Zinc wont hold up well on an exhaust. If you have a plater local you might be surprised how inexpensive it is to have done. They typicaly do anodizing as well.

cool....I always thought it would be too expensive to have say a minibike exhaust re plated or wheel rims redone in chrome plating...I may have to check into it locally.

Dan

Oldsalt

Eastwoods prices, on home plating stuff, is higher than necessary. Go to Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc. and take a look there. These people not only know what they are doing when it comes to home plating but also have a help line that is of real help. Plating is all they are involved in, they don't sell irrelavent stuff. The cheapest and best way to get into plating is to put together a small nickel plating tank [IMHO]. Looks just like chrome unless you tell someone that it's nickel. Is not toxic like a chrome set-up; I have a chrome set-up but avoid useing it. Useing the nickel tank it is possible to make nickel look like cad plating. And that's real handy when restoring minibikes. I've been doing my own plating for better than 10 years. And have saved a bundle.

The attached pics show my system in the basement for nickel, copper, chrome and etc. The second picture is the nickel tank with two aquarium heaters [to keep the temperature right] and a thermometer in place. The third shows a mock-up of a Caper Cycle and you can see the 'new looking' rear brake and sprocket assembly that I faked the cad plating on. If plating was hard to do I couldn't do it.

cool guys..this really helps alot... I think I'll set up my own plating setup in the garage, and go nickel as well. Looks like fun too!!

oldsalt can you give me a parts rundown of what I'll need to get going?

Also...will I be able to pretty much do all minibike parts....I.E....the fenders, shock springs, handlebars, brake levers, etc etc?

Dan

do you know where I can get a cheaper power supply...something that I'd be able to use if I wanted to plate an entire wheel rim, since it has a larger surface area??

Oldsalt

do you know where I can get a cheaper power supply...something that I'd be able to use if I wanted to plate an entire wheel rim, since it has a larger surface area??
You can nickel a rifle barrel if you put your solution in a long trough. I've done that. My set-up easily handles 6 or 8 inch rims without a special container. A real plus with useing nickel is that it takes only about .05 amps [a 20th of an amp at about 6 volts] per square inch to be plated. Chrome requires about 1 amp per square inch which means a rim with, for instance, 60 square inches of surface area would need 60 amps. So while a nickel plated item the same size would require only 3 amps. A small battery out of a motorcycle, with a couple of light bulbs in circut to resist rhe current down to the proper level, is all that would be needed. Plus the anodes and solution for nickel plating is a hell of a lot cheaper than chrome. I have been blessed by being given a 15 amp power supply that was used in a commerical chrome shop for testing purposes so I don't offen need to do it with a battery, just turn a dial. Check out the Plating Manual that Caswell sells; it has answers for about anything that has anything to do with home plating including all the different ways to get the proper power.

You asked what things you would need to just do nickel plate. The nickle anodes [2], the crystals to make the solution, a plastic 5 gallon bucket with lid-3 bucks, distilled water [3 gallons]-3 bucks, an aquarium heater -10 bucks, an aquarium thermometer-3 bucks, an aquarium air pump and 'air stone' -10 bucks [used to agitate the solution so the part being plated does not retain gas bubbles on its surface], the above mentioned battery set-up or power supply, a bath for degreasing and some special detergent [I got a CrockPot at the Salvation Army to heat it], a copper bar placed across the top of the bucket to hang the parts [useing copper wire], an old alarm clock or clock/radio for timing -zero bucks. Of course you will want some method to sand and buff your parts when you want a shiney rather than a satin finish.

Take a look at my current avatar to see what is easily possible. Its a 41 Knucklehead I put together [a rider...not a restored bike]. I did a lot of nickel and some chrome to add some sparkle to an otherwise stock,drab machine. Regardless of what some will tell you...haveing parts plated by a shop is very expensive. And dangerous if it is a rare part...you may never see it again. I had to start sending my parts from Walla Walla WA to Fresno CA to a plate shop I could trust. The nearest plate shop from me is a hundred mile trip. Sometimes it takes weeks to get your stuff back from a plate shop...if done at home you get it that day!

Regardless of what some will tell you...haveing parts plated by a shop is very expensive. And dangerous if it is a rare part...you may never see it again. I had to start sending my parts from Walla Walla WA to Fresno CA to a plate shop I could trust. The nearest plate shop from me is a hundred mile trip. Sometimes it takes weeks to get your stuff back from a plate shop...if done at home you get it that day!
It comes down to what you consider expensive, any shipping of parts would make plating anything cost prohibitive for me. I have 2 platers within 10 miles from me, use to have 3 but one went under, not to mention other shops that I have had ins with that had specific inhouse plating processes. I wonder how many platers the OP has to him? At one time his state was place of major industry (unlike yours). Small runs and one offs can be an issue now but that hurdle can be jumped if you simply know how to get around it. It comes down to dealing with people, wether it be the president of the company or the person who runs the line. Networking amoung people can somtimes find the person who can hook you up. 6 degrees of seperation afterall, if you cant find no one personaly, put out a craigs list ad and see what people can do for you, who knows someone may even have a set up in their basement.

The first time I had any custom plating done was over 15 years ago. I wanted to put some crager ss on a 93 silverado (at that time they did not make that wheel for that (larger) metric application . I opened up the slots (as they were unibolts) and had a set of aftermarket lugs and locks turned down at the shank about .030" (because I did not open the slots enough). I walked into a local machine shop and started bs"ing with the guy who ran the floor. He hooked me up for 10 bucks to turn down all 20 pieces. He suggested getting them plated so they would not rust (as the plating was taken off), I asked where I could get that done ( I was right out of college, I had no idea were to get this done) he gave me directions to the shop and the guys name, went there and that guy already got a call and was expecting me. Picked them up the next day. Another 10 bucks, that was the cheapest I ever got out of there for but everything else required prep and polishing.