Engine mount strength or lack of.

Gdiddy58

Has anyone ever broken an engine mount when bolting to the frame?
I have not. Just curious how strong the block is.
In general, no specific Tecumseh engine.

Mr. Pink

I gotta think that if there is no gap between the mating surfaces of the block and motor mount, and flat washers are used under both the nut and bolt, it is highly unlikely that the flange would crack during installation.

If one or more bolts would loosen during use, then I think that cracking the casting is a possibility.

Last edited:
Mounted to a flat surface, I think you would strip or break a plain steel grade 3 or grade 5 bolt before you break a block.
Of course, doing something stupid, like putting a chisel under the engine and tightening it down would do some damage.

panchothedog

I have taken predator engines ( probably poor grade aluminum ) and tightened them onto my grandkids karts, as tight as I could physically could with two box end wrenches. Granted I'm pretty old, but nonetheless they were tight. No problem, nothing broke.

Thepaetsguy

If one or more bolts would loosen during use, then I think that cracking the casting is a possibility.[/QUOTE] shouldn’t crack the casting unless there weak. All three bolts/nuts gone only one bolt with no nut remianed. floored it and it about jumped up off the mount.. thankfully the chain tensioned against both sprockets and slammed it back down. road a good 5 miles home holdin it down with my right arm. Even got a race in holding it on the mount. BF4A6ED1-0882-4800-A7B7-CA39CF75292A.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

Is the vise there for ballast or is that your cruise control?
I don't see any brakes. Awesome karts!
No hahaha the vice was set on the kart during cleanup when that picture was taken. And both have band brakes that lock both tires up no problem. Almost a full day of seat time on the hour meters.