Exhaust coming out of breather.

Hey guys after trying to start my engine I noticed a little bit of exhaust coming from the breather. Any one know why this is happening?

Its normal to have some pressure coming out of the breather. If its excessive, its called blow by, which is combustion pressure getting past the rings, piston, etc., but like I said its normal to have some pressure from the breather.

Matt

If it's true blow-by...that is combustion gasses leaking past worn out rings and cylinder bore ..not much you can do to minimize it except address the problem.

Check to make sure you didn't overfill the oil....even over filling it by a couple ounces will make these motor pump oil smoke out the breather......

Unless it was properly honed it's possible the new rings never "seated" to the bore, especially if the old bore is glazed and tapered bell-mouthed...the honing crosshatch helps to basically lap the rings to match and retains a film of oil which help to seal in the compression...even honing won't help if the bore is significantly worn...it will need to be fitted for an over-size pistion.

Hmm i did hone it pretty good before installing the rings. The engine hasn't actually ran yet I just noticed it while I was cranking it over until my recoil broke:doah:

Mike if your just talking about the air you feel escaping out the breather hole in the valve cover while your pulling over, chances are its perfectly normal. Every time the piston is traveling downwards in the bore, that air has to escape the crankcase, and that's probably all your feeling. I wouldn't worry about it, at least not until you've got it running.:thumbsup:

Matt

Yea I'm worried about the air. I think the oil coming out is the assembly lube I used to put everything together. I might have got some in the valve guides.

oldfatguy

it will have to run and break in before you know if you have a problem. I had a briggs 3hp engine smoke pretty bad after being rebuilt. At first I thought that one of the rings might have broken but after running a while the rings seated and the smoking went away. Your engine will have some blow by and might even smoke a little until the rings wear in. That's why it will need to run a while before you will know .