Exhaust & Muffler for my DB project

Dubs

Hey guys - my first post!

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now ever since finding a DB on craigslist. I've officially been inspired by the great looking bikes on this forum!

Can someone point me in the direction of an underseat exhaust/muffler combination that will fit the newer model DB? I've searched the forums, and most guys point to OldMiniBikes ... but they are sold out.

I put a predator 212 on mine and am now looking to clean up the engine a bit. I ordered a new gas tank to sit on top of the frame and also an air filter from OldMiniBikes.

any help is much appreciated!

I tried a few. Best fit, after some tweaking, is the 8" under seat from OldMiniBikes. All the ones I tried needed the holes wallowed out to fit the predator. Then a minor pipe adjustment to clear the frame. The rear hoop on the old style doodle needed some massaging with a dead blow hammer but it was easy enough.

I make my own for the Old DB's , cut the flange off the stock muffler , bend some 1"tubing or 3/4" IMC , with a conduit bender (hickey ) if you know an electrician , one weld to flange and weld on an 8 dollar muffler from hardware store ! Works great :thumbsup:

Dubs

Thanks, guys - really appreciate it! My lack of patience got the best of me and I ordered one from hotrodminibikes. I'll keep you posted and get pictures up sometime soon.

My remote tank arrived today as well! I have some questions about that but I'll post in a new thread so as to maintain the integrity of the title.

Ive had this old DB for less than two weeks and I've already spent way too much money!

Wrong Hobby if you're worried about spending too much money , Lol ! The enjoyment of the completed project is expensive , I mean priceless :laugh:

Dubs

@ Cam - can you please expand on 'minor tweaking'?

I have a new style DB, and I like the look of the under seat pipe. If I get the 8" from OldMiniBikes (when they have them in stock) - will I need to do anything other than drill out the holes?

Minor tweaking. The predator uses a slightly different mounting pattern. So you have to enlarge the holes to fit the studs. More like turn the holes in into slots. On the old style frame I had to bend the rear hoop upwards with a dead blow hammer. The reason is the hotdog has to exit between the hoop and fender.

It sounds more difficult than it is. You take just the header and start with the holes. When it sits on the studs, hand tighten the nuts. Then screw the hot dog in. If it hits or sits too close either move the frame with force or the pipe will also bend some to change the angle slightly. I think I used a 3/8ths socket extension that was 12" long. It fit in the pipe and gave me the leverage. On the new style you have to also keep the pipe and muffler away from the rear plastic fender. On my mbx11 I centered the pipe between the seat bottom and the plastic fender. That one needed a slight downward bend.