Front axle bolt

So my front axle bolt has some boogered up threads and I don't have the due to fix it. Do you think a grade 2 bolt from the hardware store will be strong enough? I would get a grade 5 or 8 but they don't have them that long. Other options would be $20 for the bolt from OldMiniBikes, get the die, or get a NES thread repair tool. Of course the cheapest would be a grade 2 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What are you working on? Is this the DB you asked about the rear on??? If so I have a 5 gallon bucket full of new axles, if you need one.

Doug

Use (at least) a grade 5 bolt for an axle. Get it wherever you can- OldMiniBikes, Doug (FOMOGO), or whoever. Don't be a cheapskate on this with a grade 2 bolt. Also, a grade 5 or 8 bolt has a better chance of being STRAIGHT. A bolt that is not straight (even slightly) will cause you wheel to wobble. You DO know how to do a "roll test" to check a bolt for straightness, right?
Michael

Use (at least) a grade 5 bolt for an axle. Get it wherever you can- OldMiniBikes, Doug (FOMOGO), or whoever. Don't be a cheapskate on this with a grade 2 bolt. Also, a grade 5 or 8 bolt has a better chance of being STRAIGHT. A bolt that is not straight (even slightly) will cause you wheel to wobble. You DO know how to do a "roll test" to check a bolt for straightness, right?
Michael
I want to cheap out on it but I know I shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk