Fun with the new digital microscope.

65ShelbyClone

I just got a handheld digital still/video microscope and have been wasting a lot of time with it lately shooting ultra-closeups of mundane things. :laugh: It has 20, 50, and 200x magnification.

Any requests?

I just can't believe it.

I remember one year when I was on strike my son wanted this conventioanl microscope he saw at a yard sale.

I was not eager to spend the money but he talked it up and I bought it.
Paid something like 35 bucks for this thing that I ended up tossing out not long after because the image quality was bad.

He was dispointed and I was out 35 bucks.....

But in all honesty I never considered this sort of thing.
I would not likely have even seen one on a shelf and noticed it.....

We live in interesting times.
Tell me I would have a computer at home with a buit in microscope and all these cool gadgets 20 years ago and I would not have believed it.

I thik I need one of these things now lol.

Now some years ago I wanted a scope.
Needed one for a project but I could not afford one....
Look here.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-Channel-US..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2c6845e998
This meets the minimum technical requirements for what I needed then and in real dollars its like 5 cents on the dollar for anything close to what I could have had then.

These are days I sometimes have a hard time believing

Last edited:

Oldsalt

65SC

That thing looks like it would be the berries for reading spark plugs. The pic of the plug clearly showed what was going on in the combustion chamber, beads and all.

65ShelbyClone

I don't think I have the equipment to take photos of crystallized ethanol. :laugh:

65SC

That thing looks like it would be the berries for reading spark plugs. The pic of the plug clearly showed what was going on in the combustion chamber, beads and all.
I thought of that too. The picture above was only about 50x. This one of a ground electrode is closer to the full 200x:

And some more miscellaneous. This is a surface-mount LED on the end of a flash drive with ballpoint pen tip for scale.

Damaged RAM chip with silicon wafer showing:

The rest are two '80s vintage UV-erasable PROMs:

65ShelbyClone

MOAR!

That is the shutter of a 3.5" floppy disk with "720k" written on with a Sharpie because I formatted a couple 1.44mb disks as double density in the process of troubleshooting what turned out to be a bad floppy drive.

Incidentally, I have a couple genuine 20-year-old 720k floppies that are still good. :bowdown: I also have a pile of newer IBM 1.44mb floppies that have been going bad since they were about a year old. :doah:

65ShelbyClone

What's funny is that I've been studying (rudimentary) C programming lately and I'm using some 720k floppies to save my source files (long story). My biggest source file is still less than a kilobyte, so a 3.5" is actually ample space. :laugh: