Funny repairs...

Came across this and had to try it (sliding a beer can in a OHH50 2.625 bore) and it fit pretty darn close! Didnt try to insert a piston into the can though, looks about a mm too small.

"....I recall taking an H35 Tecumseh I had on a mini-bike to shop class at vocational school and my teacher used a aluminum beer can to sleeve the cylinder-it happened to fit perfect,and to hold it from sliding up and down in the cylinder he just cut slots in the can and folded the metal over at the top and bottom of the cylinder....he said "It'll probably not last long"....it was more of a learning experience than an actual fix..to show us how they can sleeve a scored cylinder to salvage an otherwise good engine..

it ran great for a few weeks,then seized up tight...then I took it back to shop class and he sent it to the machine shop class,who bored it oversize so a piston we salvaged from a Tecumseh 4 HP push mower would fit it...we found out when we went to assemble it the connecting rod wrist pin bore was not the same size,so we tried substituting the connecting rod from the engine the piston came from and it fit the crankshaft,but the length overall was shorter by about 1/8" ,so it barely had enough compression to run very well..the engine would rev like crazy though!..just lacked power at take off and lugging.."

Augiedoggie

Had one of my old shitbox cars break a drive shaft u bolt and spit the caps and nuts off into the woods or somewhere off in the dark. Wrapped both ends of drive shaft in coat hanger wire directly to pinion saddle without u joint cap and twisted coat hanger wire tight with rusty pliers. Drove home slowly and wire stretched and broke many times. Learned to feather clutch and drive slowly. Only had 3 wire coat hangers and used them all. Last one broke trying to get up my home driveway. Left it there overnight halfway up driveway and borrowed more of mom's coat hangers to get it in garage for proper repair

Carb return spring let go and I used a boot band (elastic rope) off my Marine uniform.to get me home. I also broke a clutch cable off a Subaru GL10 (?) And I used a rope into the cab to pull the clutch lever to get it out of first and then just double clutch shifted it all the way home on the freeway. I timed the lights so I only needed to use the rope 4 times in about 40 miles. Coming to a stop I had to put it in N and ripe it into first. I supposed I could have killed the motor and just put it into first and hit the starter and gas to get it going from a stop but the clutch was part of the starter circuit, not like the old Toyotas.

Rowedoo

My buddy's VW fuel pump quit so we took the windshield washer bottle and put gas in it and I rode on the back bumper feeding the gas to it while he drove it about a mile to his house .

In 81 I bought a 68 Jeepster Commando with an F head 4 cylinder. I was stationed in Beaufort, SC. It broke a piston and before I could get it home, the big, long connecting rod wore a groove in the cylinder. All of the coolant went into the crankcase. I drove it about 2 miles to the house. It sat there for a couple of months while I tried to find an engine. At the time, Pinto 2.3 engines were being installed in them. Then, I got orders to Camp Lejeune, Jacksonville, NC. I got desperate. Since I already had the head off, I sat on the fender and tried to come up with something. A Campbell's soup can was a pretty tight fit in the cylinder. I decided to cut the top off a can, epoxy it into the bottom of the cylinder and fill the cylinder to the top with epoxy resin. I had already removed the connecting rod. It was about 8 or 9 inches long. I put the pan back on and reinstalled the head without a piston or rod in #2. Vibration does not describe what it felt like at idle. The speedo needle bounced from 0 to 45 about every second. It wasn't too bad at speed. I drove it up I 95 in 1982 at about 65 MPH. It got a fresh 327 Chevy in 1983.

Augiedoggie

I had buick 401 break a piston and removed it from under car by cutting connecting rod with cutting torch and broke up piston and removed it with crowbar. Removed spark plug and inserted heavy wire(more uses for coat hanger) through spark plug hole and wrapped around old towel and forced towel into cylinder and removed pushrods for dead cylinder. Reinstalled oil pan with original broken pan gasket and filled er up with drain oil. Car ran but vibrated a lot. Eventually fired the valve lifters from their bores and reduced oil pressure. Oil light flickered up to 30mph. Teenage boys don't drive under 30 mph so it was all good.

Thepaetsguy

Gotta get the right bend on the bottom radiator hose. another one was a 200k mile wrangler locked up. pushed the clutch back in and let it out and it unlocked. we restarted it the connection rod blew to pieces and we drove it over 12 miles home. B65D5605-876D-4ED5-8671-5E7673E0AC8D.jpeg