gas tank blues

Doc1976

lets talk about gas tank cleaning. I have a 3 horse tank that is a little rusty. I dont think its pitted, just surface. but the problem is that most of it is in the fuel cup inside the tank that cant be reached. any suggestions?

I cleaned a gas tank with BBs and fresh gas . The gas tank held two cycle oil gas mix And it was heavily varnished . Just kept sloshing it back and forth. It worked quite well .

Doc1976

yeah i've done tanks in the past with acetone and rocks/BBs/length of chain etc. works well. but the issue is the fuel cup, I dont think the acetone mix will get up in there enough.

Do a google search within the website. I've read a couple posts about cleaning tanks that way. I recently was checking for leaks on a tank and I used straight white vinegar. You might want to try sloshing that around, too. I was surprised what came out of the tank when I drained it.

Twid

I put a hand full of gravel or b-b's if you'd like. Then I wrap it up tight with a bunch of blankets or towels so it won't bounce around and put it in the dryer for 20 minutes, give or take. I got the idea from a friend that uses a paint shaker to clean tanks.

but the problem is that most of it is in the fuel cup inside the tank that cant be reached. any suggestions?
Doc, just fill the cup up with Evaporust, vinegar, or phosphoric acid and let it soak for awhile. Then rinse it out good with gasoline. My son has done this on various Briggs 3 & 5 HP tanks with good results.
Michael

Doc,
Make sure it is PHOSPHORIC acid, NOT MURATIC acid! Even still, use caution with breathing the fumes, and getting it on your skin or in your eyes!
Michael

Doc,
Make sure it is PHOSPHORIC acid, NOT MURATIC acid! Even still, use caution with breathing the fumes, and getting it on your skin or in your eyes!
Michael
I have been using muratic acid mixed with water for several years now. I use it for this particular application, as well as general derusting. I use it in a 1:4 ratio. Why do you say not to use it?

I use it because (1) it's so cheap, and (2) it doesn't leave a black residue like oxalic. This job would take me about 45 minutes. (As I said, I've done it several times)

I have been using muratic acid mixed with water for several years now. I use it for this particular application, as well as general derusting. I use it in a 1:4 ratio. Why do you say not to use it?

I use it because (1) it's so cheap, and (2) it doesn't leave a black residue like oxalic. This job would take me about 45 minutes. (As I said, I've done it several times)
Dave , that is a fair question...
My one word answer is: SAFETY. I do not know anything about the OP's experience, ability or even comfort level working with acids. As you know, even with making a diluted acid/water solution for use as rust removal, there is a TECHNIQUE- You ALWAYS add the acid to the water, NEVER vice/versa or you could have a flash (explosion, really) where someone could get hurt. I advised him to use Phosphoric Acid as it is a bit more forgiving in this regard, and does not have as high a burn potential to skin and eyes or inhalation hazard as Muratic (Hydrochloric) acid.
Michael

Last edited:

Doc1976

well thanks for all the replies guys, the tank is clean and rust free! I decided to go the electrolysis route. It worked perfect! this trick will definitely be added to my arsenal of tricks.

well thanks for all the replies guys, the tank is clean and rust free! I decided to go the electrolysis route. It worked perfect! this trick will definitely be added to my arsenal of tricks.
Thanks for giving the feedback. Now that I have the equipment, I'd like to give it a try as well.