Getting my GX160 to compete with GX200s

Hello everyone,

I have a GX160 on a Baja minibike with some modest mods (governor removed, 18 lb valve springs, rejetted carb with emulsion tube, air filter and exhaust, plus a torque converter)

The guys I ride with all have GX200s, most of which just have the governor removed and have an air filter and exhaust (no valve springs). They all have smaller lighter bikes than I do also.

I'm having trouble keeping up with them. My question is, what would be the next recommended mod for me to adopt to give me a leg up to get closer to even with them? I've thought about a flat top piston, as well as a cam, but I'm not sure what is the best bang for the buck. I assume if I get a new cam I'll need a bigger carb to take advantage, and I'm not sure how much a flat top piston will help.

Ideas?

It took me all the billet goodies a flat top some 1.3's and a pair of 18lbs springs. Plus a Mikuni 22mm and header just to be able to pass anther guy on a Gx200 with a CL1 but I was having to spin her to the moon, and for mostly stock valvetrain it didn't last long.

I'm having trouble keeping up with them.
On top end ? On take off? All around?

You could bump the compression a bit by the head gasket. Skinnier head gasket = more compression = more power? Less that $50 bucks

Another idea is get a $99 motor from HF
$99 dollar clone engine -Best bang for $$$ Use your 18 lb valve springs, rejetted carb with emulsion tube, air filter and exhaust, torque converter on the Predator 212 and gain CC's!!!
Those are torquey engines and have a two year warranty to boot.

If that's not your flavor then the "Grayhound" or "Box Stock Clones" are still around they will use the Honda Speed parts.

Last edited:
Yup unless you want to spend the big bucks to build the Lil engine into a screamer it would probably be a better bet to go with bigger motor. It will produce more low end torque and get into power faster.

Just save your money and time and buy you a 212 Predator then take all the goodies off your old motor and put them on there. Believe me, you won't be disappointed at all!!!

I hate to be the bearer or bad news.. This has been discussed before. There is no replacement for displacement.. You going to spend $$$ and never catch your friends.

Sorry, get a 196cc or a 212cc..:hammer:

TT

Is there a dewshy echo in here? Why don't you duck back under your rock while those of us who weren't privy to your blinding insight have our own conversation, mmmmmkay? Big people are talking.

I know there is never a way I can keep up with a heavily (or even modestly) modded GX200, but most of the guys I'm riding with have only removed the governor. I wasn't sure if I would be more evenly matched with some mods that they don't have. I wasn't sure if Valve Springs, New Jet, Intake and Exhaust, as well as one other thing (flat top piston or cam) would get me up to par with stock GX200. I don't know how much of a gain to expect from any of the other upgrades.

Have you done the mods that you listed to your engine? Your last post sounds like you still have not completed the mods you listed. Your engine with those mods should be competitive with a "Stock" GX200. You may be better off with a 6.5 clone/predator 212 and a smaller rear sprocket if you have not opened the honda to install those parts.

Look 4 the speed calculator on this site. You can get an idea of what changing your tire size & rear sprocket you would gain in MPH.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Like he said, the modified parts may out way the cost of a stock predator motor. Then you can make money by selling the 5.5. But keep the head