Gotta choke it

DORM

Just installed a Lifan 160F-A 4 hp in my sons DB30. IT runs fine but everytime you start it , it has to be choked.This is fine for initial cold start but it needs it even after its warmed up. WHATS UP WITH THAT ? The engines new with about 30 min. on it. :shrug:

Oldsalt

Seems that most [small] engines that come to our shores are jetted far too lean. My belief? If it was much leaner you would have to run it with the choke partly on. This complaint is very common. Drill out the jet a tiny bit or put a 'denser' more restrictive air cleaner on it.

DORM

rather not drill the jet,but should be able to go
UP one size cant I.Are the threads on a JET a common size/industry std. and are they available at most small engine repair shops?

Oldsalt

rather not drill the jet,but should be able to go
UP one size cant I.Are the threads on a JET a common size/industry std. and are they available at most small engine repair shops?
Nope. My CZ, Triumph, Harley, Holley carbs and AFBs, Makuni, Delorto, Bing and etc. are all different. The proliferation of new sizes and designs by Japan and China goes on unchecked. There is only a small chance that you will find the next size jet for your 97cc engine at a small engine repair shop locally. Hopefully you can order one from somewhere. My response to the leanness [that is suppose to save out pristine environment] is to use number drill to find the approx. size and then go to the next larger size. Has worked wonders every time. The drawback is that you usually need a dill somewhere between #60 and #80.

If you could get a jet [with shipping] for 10 bucks you would be spending 10% of what a new clone engine is worth. But then, the eco-Nazi rules on imports also make it also come into the states jetted rather lean.

DORM

The engine is a Lifan 120cc 4 Hp not the stock 97cc DB30 engine.Not that it matters , sounds like it still might be tough to find.I understand the checking the hole size and going one up.Seems a little scetchy holding that small brass jet with a drill press vice and not damaging the threads.

gbabins1

The brass is soft... I've drilled mine by holding the jet in my hand and twisting the drill bit with the other hand. It takes less than 5 minutes... and that way you don't damage the threads on the jet itself either :thumbsup: I've done 4 this way

Oldsalt

Going bigger is a piece of cake. Silver soldering up the hole and then re-drilling to a smaller size is more hassle. Jets in small carbs attached to low output 4 stroke motors are not a critical item.

I have a "Blue" clone on a trike and it has to be choked on every start. Runs like a champ...
Both our blue HF "Greyhound" and HF "Predator" engines do the same thing and we have never really cared.:shrug: After all, how many times when you are out riding do you shut it off and start it up again? Really and truly, it is not that big a deal to have to choke it a couple of times, is it?
Michael

cxbra

I think im running slightly lean too (bone stock Predator in 50 degree weather at 4000 ft. above sea level). I want to try some different fueling options but I am NOT touching the stock jet, the jet will always remain stock since the bike runs great with it I just think I could get more fuel in. What is the size of the Predator stock jet?? Also, are the jets in Predator carbs interchangeable with the honda gx200 clone jets?