Guitar Amps

Do any of you guys play? And if so have you ever made you're own amp? I've had this idea ive been kicking around my head for amps and I have some questions.

Here's my axes and amp

Grew up working in a TV shop, and was servicing tube amps for years before building any. I only play enough chords to test stage amplifiers. Never keep a guitar or a big amp around here for long. Last instrument amp I bought new was a Blues Jr. Got lots of tube test gear, some iron, some parts, and a few tubes. Couple of small Watt single-ended PA chassis on hand at present, great for rewiring into guitar practice amps. Been pondering this Sony stereo tube tape deck for hacking, too.

Presently listening to a stereo push-pull 11 Watt integrated amp breaking in a new quad of Czech 6L6's, pushing Vandersteen 1's. Its sweet.

What are you wanting to build? You must enjoy all styles of playing, you have 4 really different axes sitting there! Looks like maybe a silverface Fender?

Jon

AES, angela electric and I used a 50 watt marshall plexie replica output transformer (modded the bias circuit and used el34's instead of 6l6's) made by a friend Joe Pampel who used to have a vintage guitar amp business called obsolete electronics. Also triode electronics is a great place for transformers and great prices.

image.jpg
the upper left is a plexi rack mount, you can buy kits but if you are into vintage sound. it's best to find vintage parts.
I can hear the difference. and feel it at volume. there are many really good amp builders
or buy an older amp

View attachment 68235
the upper left is a plexi rack mount, you can buy kits but if you are into vintage sound. it's best to find vintage parts.
I can hear the difference. and feel it at volume. there are many really good amp builders
or buy an older amp
Yes Ive been thinking of buying an old tube amp and repurposing it for what I want to do. I don't want to mess with the electronics. My idea is more about the housing. I basically want to make an amp out of something and I think its a cool idea. So I was thinking of building the amp from a plan or a kit then installing in my little idea instead of a cabinet. I probably should just buy an older tube amp, rip out the works and mount on a board then install it in this object I've been thinking would make a cool amp. Feels like cheating but probably not. LOL

Grew up working in a TV shop, and was servicing tube amps for years before building any. I only play enough chords to test stage amplifiers. Never keep a guitar or a big amp around here for long. Last instrument amp I bought new was a Blues Jr. Got lots of tube test gear, some iron, some parts, and a few tubes. Couple of small Watt single-ended PA chassis on hand at present, great for rewiring into guitar practice amps. Been pondering this Sony stereo tube tape deck for hacking, too.

Presently listening to a stereo push-pull 11 Watt integrated amp breaking in a new quad of Czech 6L6's, pushing Vandersteen 1's. Its sweet.

What are you wanting to build? You must enjoy all styles of playing, you have 4 really different axes sitting there! Looks like maybe a silverface Fender?

Jon
I play mostly Stones. Some country/ blues. Reggae. When I discovered in high school that Keith Richards plays a good chunk of Stones songs in open tunings, and that was why I could never get the songs to sound right, I got addicted to it. That fourth guitar is just a kids guitar for learning. I've got my 7 and 9 year old boys to start practicing chords on it cuz it's nice and small for their hands.

AES, angela electric and I used a 50 watt marshall plexie replica output transformer (modded the bias circuit and used el34's instead of 6l6's) made by a friend Joe Pampel who used to have a vintage guitar amp business called obsolete electronics. Also triode electronics is a great place for transformers and great prices.
Thanks for the tip!

the plexi took a few years to find the correct period pcs,
i would never take an old amp and do that to it
look for the old drake transformers, sometimes you get lucky.
like the old mini bike stuff

funny I also play a few stones songs in open G Honkey tonk women, brown sugar, can't you hear me knocking, and start me up. you are very correct chords with more open strings just have that sound that bar chords lack.

the plexi took a few years to find the correct period pcs,
i would never take an old amp and do that to it
look for the old drake transformers, sometimes you get lucky.
like the old mini bike stuff
Yeah well i mean a junker. I know what you mean abt desicrating an old NICE one. Lol i wouldn't do that.

funny I also play a few stones songs in open G Honkey tonk women, brown sugar, can't you hear me knocking, and start me up. you are very correct chords with more open strings just have that sound that bar chords lack.
Yes! That ringing sound. Brown Sugar is so much fun to play. Little know fact: Jagger wrote that riff. Pretty much his song all the way.