GX160 and 200 Pistons Ain't Exactly the Same

RobK

I figured out the hard way that a GX160 and a GX200 piston aren't entirely interchangable. Since I already have a 160 flat top piston, I thought I'd save some money on my 200 build. Guess that was a mistake. The piston fits the bore, but the rings from AGK don't fit the stock GX160 piston. The ring grooves in the OEM GX160 piston are too narrow, and the rings don't fit. I wanted to get it put together this week, but I'll have to wait for the new piston. That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks.

There are several GX160 pistons

Sounds like you have what is commonly refered to as T3 piston.

Timisky has 1mm rings as does NR, ARC and in Canada Kartworks Canada.

Since I already had the new rings, it was easier to just order a piston.
The piston you have is better than the one you are ordering.

Well it might be.
What piston do you have any ways?

Unlikely its the ZM4 since this is not suposed to be iun North America yet ( though examples have been imported )

So its probably one of the more common older ones.

The thin rings are less drag and wear on the bore.

If you do a real good hone job and but them up nice and tight that piston and ring set will owrk better than the older fat ring ones.

Onthe other hand if you are not going to invest a lot of time and effort ina good hone job and file fitting rings then stick with the easier to break in 1.3.

Is this a new piston?
If your not using it can I have it?
Seriously.....

RobK

The piston you have is better than the one you are ordering.

Well it might be.
What piston do you have any ways?

Unlikely its the ZM4 since this is not suposed to be iun North America yet ( though examples have been imported )

So its probably one of the more common older ones.

The thin rings are less drag and wear on the bore.

If you do a real good hone job and but them up nice and tight that piston and ring set will owrk better than the older fat ring ones.

Onthe other hand if you are not going to invest a lot of time and effort ina good hone job and file fitting rings then stick with the easier to break in 1.3.

Is this a new piston?
If your not using it can I have it?
Seriously.....
The piston I have came out of a GX160 on a pump I bought off CL. Mostly I wanted the 18cc head, but figured if I could save a few bucks using the piston. Since I already ordered a new piston, I'd be happy to sell you this one if you want it.

The piston I have came out of a GX160 on a pump I bought off CL. Mostly I wanted the 18cc head, but figured if I could save a few bucks using the piston. Since I already ordered a new piston, I'd be happy to sell you this one if you want it.
Well a new T3 piston is 5-7 bucks plus shipping depending on what you buy.
You have a used one and I don't think its worth what new one would cost me I am afraid.

I was just kind of hoping you would toss it in mail before you tossed it in the trash.