GX390 Info

you might want to try searching at Bob's 4 Cycle. i've seen lots of shit on the GX390 over there.

we don't get too many people running them here. if you get a couple more posts you could try pm'ing minidragbike, there's a good chance he'll know or could find out.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have all my stock spec's info lock into my computer. Lately I have been having computer problems, so I can't remember off the top of my head what they are.

The spec's are in metric which makes it even harder to remember. But I do know the stroke is over 2.5?? and can't remember the journal size.

Tom from ARC can tell you if you need exact spec's. They are the rod makers.

Hey man I'm in no hurry so, take your time. :smile:

Whenever you get your computer back up and running just post the info here.

Thanks a bunch
Rick

Well that's a stroke of luck for a change. Haha

What would be a safe amount to turn down a crank journal?
My journal size is around 1.664. Would it be safe if I were to turn it down to Gx390 size? By the way this is a stock crank.

Thanks
Rick

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Well that's a stroke of luck for a change. Haha

What would be a safe amount to turn down a crank journal?
My journal size is around 1.664. Would it be safe if I were to turn it down to Gx390 size? By the way this is a stock crank.

Thanks
Rick
What motor do you have?
If you are turning a crank down it's best to get even more stroke while doing it.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have a Briggs Vanguard single.

Its 26 CI, the bore is 3.43, stroke 2.86.
Man that could have helped a long time ago. LOL

So you wanting to make it into a gx390?
If so make it bigger, the bigger the better. you can easy get over 3" stroke and maybe bore the stock sleeve up to fit a 3.490" JE piston.

That's what I would do, but you gotta just find a rod with a bigger journal than 1". Maybe a 1.25" journal should work, but it needs a ,490" wrist pin hole.

Do you have a picture of this motor?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You trying to make a vertical shaft motor into gx390 horizontal shaft motor?

Sorry but I don't your gonna be able to do that. I was thinking it was a horizontal briggs vangaurd like I already know about.

Nope, I plan on keeping it a vertical shaft. :thumbsup:

The thing is no one makes a rod for it so, I was going to see if the crank can be ground down from 1.664 to what ever the Gx390 journal size is and, then run a 390 rod and piston.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Nope, I plan on keeping it a vertical shaft. :thumbsup:

The thing is no one makes a rod for it so, I was going to see if the crank can be ground down from 1.664 to what ever the Gx390 journal size is and, then run a 390 rod and piston.
If the crank is solid in the center I would offset grind it for more stroke, and run a JE piston.

I just notice you do lawnmower racing. And I was thinking as in minibike racing.

If you can get the journal down to 1" you have a good choice of rods and pistons to choose from. If you try the gx390 setup it may, or may not work. Your limiting yourself to only 1 rod, and 1 piston.

That's the thing the crank isn't solid in the center.
Here's a drawing of the crank. Vanny Single Crank.

One more question as well, How thick does a sleeve have to be. I Have a 3.43 bore and want to do a .120 overbore but, I'm not sure if I'll be able to still use the sleeve or, if it will be to thin. Right now I have a .160" thck sleeve.
Rick

I'll actually have .100 thick sleeve but, the thing is if it's to thin I'll have to bore the existing sleeve out and have it re-sleeved and, if I'm going that route I mine as well go as big as the block allows.

Another question, How much "meat" so to speak do you want in between the threads of the head bolts and the cylinder wall? I don't want the threads of the head bolt to get weak.