h35 carb problem

i bought an air compressor with a h35 engine. i am using the engine for a mini bike. problem is that the engine will not start at idle. if i turn idle screw in several turns to increase engine speed it will start and run, then i can turn screw back out and it will idle ok and rev ok. i dont want to start a mini bike at full or half throttle. is this carb maybe designed to start at full throttle? should i change carb or is there something else i can do.

Motra

Some of the Tecumseh carbs don't have a low speed circuit. If that's the case with yours you might need to get a different carb.

without a low speed circuit would i be able to idle it down after starting as i can now. it also has the idle mixture screw on the side of carb which i adjusted to get the smoothest idle. i have seen engines on other equipment that start at fast throttle but will idle after starting.

With an unknown carb, I'd dissassemble and clean it up good, put a carb kit in it. Does it have a float bowl? If it doesn't have an idle mixture (on the side) and a high speed (on the bottom) screw, you may wish to find a different carb.

it does have the idle mixture screw and the high speed screw. it does idle good and rev good it just wont start at idle. it is a bowl carb. it will start at idle if i restart right away, but if i wait a minute or so it is hard to start. i might disassemble the carb and clean it out and see what happens.

yes the governor is hooked up. when i move the lever on the blower housing to start, the governor opens throttle to wide open which is how most engines that run equipment like mowers, compressors and wood chippers work. the h40 on my columbia starts at idle. do i need a different type of carb that starts at idle or can this one be modified.

On both my HS40's, the governor keeps the throttle open at least halfway or more when the engine is off. As soon as it starts, the governor lever should pull back the throttle to idle. The static setup of your governor arm is what effects this. Post some pics of your setup.

i found that if i open throttle about 1/8 inch it will start and the governor will force it back to idle. since i dont use the governor on my mini bikes i will open throttle a little to start it, that should work. i dont use the govrernor on my hs40 and it starts at idle so i figured the h35 would also. thanks for the info about the governor. i forgot that i had downloaded a copy of the tec handbook it was helpful also.